Sunny Day (TV series) facts for kids
Quick facts for kidsSunny Day
|Created by||Abie Longstaff|
|Based on||The Fairytale Hairdresser book series by Abbie Longstaff|
|Developed by||Paula Rosenthal|
|Written by||Jodi Reynolds (head writer)
Brian Hohlfeld (head writer; season 1)
Alan Denton (head writer; season 2)
|Directed by||Shawn Seles
Dave Barton Thomas
|Voices of||Lilla Crawford
Élan Luz Rivera
Melissa van der Schyff
|Country of origin||Canada
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||60 (11 yet to be aired) (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Paula Rosenthal|
|Running time||21 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Pipeline Studios
Nickelodeon Animation Studio
|Distributor||Viacom Media Networks|
|Original network||Treehouse TV (Canada)
Nick Jr. (UK and US)
Milkshake! (Channel 5) (UK)
|Picture format||HDTV 1080i (16:9)|
|Original release||August 21, 2017– TBA|
Sunny Day is an animated children's television series produced by Silvergate Media. The series revolves around Sunny (voiced by Lilla Crawford), a hairdresser who runs her own salon with the help of her talking dog Doodle (Rob Morrison), hair colourist Rox (Élan Luz Rivera), and receptionist Blair (Taylor Louderman). Sunny's best customers are Timmy (Kevin Duda), who is in charge of hosting events and shows in Sunny's hometown, and Cindy (Melissa van der Schyff), the unlucky town baker who has a constant bad hair day. The series is loosely based on the Random House picture book series The Fairytale Hairdresser by Abie Longstaff and illustrated by Lauren Beard. Each episode features an original song written by Peter Lurye.
Forty episodes of Sunny Day are being produced by Silvergate in association with the Canadian animation company Pipeline Studios. On April 5, 2016, the show was renewed for a second season containing 20 episodes. The series premiered on Nickelodeon in the United States on August 21, 2017. The show began airing in Canada on Treehouse TV on September 4, 2017 and premiered on Nick Jr. and Milkshake! in the United Kingdom on 2 March 2018. New episodes moved to the Nick Jr. channel as of October 2018.
Taking place in the seaside town of Friendly Falls, the series follows a professional hairstylist named Sunny who works at her own salon. Sunny uses her creativity and knowledge of hair care to solve problems. The other salon employees are Sunny's talking dog Doodle, Rox the hair colourist, and Blair the receptionist. Sunny's best customers are Timmy, who hosts every town event in Friendly Falls, and Cindy, the unlucky local baker with constantly messy hair.
While the setting of the series is different, the message and characterization mirror Abie Longstaff's original vision in The Fairytale Hairdresser books, which feature salon-owner Kittie Lacey, "the facilitator and the problem-solver … at the heart of the community" "who works hard, defeats evil-doers, [and] shows solidarity with the girls she helps."
- Sunny (voiced by Lilla Crawford in the US and Lily Portman in the UK and Nataša Popović in the Serbia) – A professional hairstylist with light skin, green eyes and blonde hair with pink, purple and orange highlights, who owns her own beauty parlour. She drives a van called the Glam Van and has an optimistic, determined attitude. She is the lead singer and tambourine player in her band, Sunny and the Sun Rays. A few sources confirm that her full name is Sunny Minerva Day, à la the show's title.
- Doodle (voiced by Rob Morrison in the US and Chris Garner in the UK, with the singing voiced by Gavin Lazarus and Milan Tubić in the Serbia) – Sunny's talking pet dog and sidekick with yellow fur, green eyes and a tuft of fur on his head styled to look like hair with pink and purple highlights. He often serves as the comic relief of the series. In addition to talking, Doodle is capable of driving the Glam Van. He is the drummer of Sunny and the Sun Rays. In “Best Christmas Ever”, he is shown to have hundreds of cousins, three of them named Olaf, Mitzi and Angus.
- Rox (voiced by Élan Luz Rivera in the US and Abigail Wisdom in the UK) – The hair colorist at Sunny's salon with dark skin, brown eyes and magenta hair with pink, green and blue highlights. She has wavy multicoloured hair and is a skilled skateboarder. She is known for creating her own hair dyes in the salon's colour lab. She has a young brother named Junior and a cousin named Lulu. She's the lead tambourinist of Sunny and the Sun Rays.
- Blair (voiced by Taylor Louderman in the US and Eleanor Snowdon in the UK) — The receptionist and manicurist at Sunny's salon with light skin, brown eyes and lilac hair with swept back bangs and a rose hair clip. She always carries a tablet computer to keep track of every appointment. She is exceptionally organised and can get irritated when things are not done in the way she is used to. She plays the keyboards in Sunny and the Sun Rays.
- Timmy (voiced by Kevin Duda in the US and Alan Medcroft in the UK) – A friend of Sunny with light skin, blue eyes and blonde hair swept back, who is awkward but confident. He hosts events such as contests and talent shows in Friendly Falls. His hair is very similar to Sunny's, but shorter and without highlights. He is the tallest of the characters and is best friends with Scratch
- Cindy (voiced by Melissa van der Schyff in the US and Imogen Sharp in the UK) is the town baker with pale skin, green eyes and dark brown hair in a messy updo, who wears glasses and usually has bad luck. Her hair is always messy and unmanageable. As a running gag, every food she bakes will somehow end up destroyed. She loves to bake. She's Lacey's sister.
- Junior (voiced by Denim Steele, and Jesus Del Orden) is Rox's younger brother. He is 6 in his first few appearances and turns 7 in "Clowning Around".
- Johnny-Ray (voiced by Kyle Dean Massey)
- Lacey (voiced by Sarah Stiles) – A topiary tree artist and pageant queen with pale skin, green eyes and dark brown hair in a curly ponytail, who always cheats and lies in attempts to win Timmy's contests, often causing her to come into conflict with Sunny, Doodle, Rox, and Blair. Though antagonistic most of the time she can get along with Sunny and her friends on rare occasions and even visits the salon to have her hair and nails though she tends to be a demanding client for Sunny, Rox, and Blair. Though she often treats her dog KC as an underling she does indeed care about her even if she doesn't always show it. Additionally she also surprisingly gets along with her sister Cindy despite their contrasting personalities. Her name is a reference to Kittie Lacey, the main character of The Fairytale Hairdresser. At the end of the episode “Lacey’s Salon”, she and Sunny are said to become “frenemies”.
- KC (also voiced by Melissa van der Schyff) – Lacey's talking poodle with pink fur, green eyes and a bob hairdo, who reluctantly assists her in her schemes. She often acts as Lacey's underling though is often annoyed by Lacey's tendency to order her around and tendency to ask KC's opinion on something only to dismiss her suggestion and do the opposite.
- Scratch (voiced by Josh Ruben in US, and Alan Medcroft in UK) – The strong-willed neighborhood dogcatcher with fair skin, green eyes and light brown hair swept back, who is known for chasing dogs whenever they get loose or cause trouble. Unlike Lacey and KC, Scratch isn't really mean and simply takes his job very seriously. He is best friends with Timmy and even has his own dog, Posey. But since he also has a dog he show some soft and friendly side sometime and kindness over other.
- Violet (voiced by Shannon Walsh)
- Mandy (voiced by Kether Donohue)
- Peter (voiced by Chris Knowings in US, and Chris Garner in UK)
- Lulu (voiced by Shanice Williams in US, and Imogen Sharp in UK)
- Princess Annabella (voiced by Athena Eleanor Ripka in US, and Imogen Sharp in UK)
- Princess Dominica (voiced by Sarah Bolt)
- Prince Dudley (voiced by Eric O’Carroll UK)
- Suzette (voiced by Dave Droxler)
- Sunny (voiced by Lily Portman)
- Rox (voiced by Abigail Wisdom)
- Blair (voiced by Eleanor Snowdon)
- Doodle (voiced by Chris Garner)
- Timmy (voiced by Alan Medcroft)
- Cindy (voiced by Imogen Sharp)
- Avery (voiced by Niki Felstead)
- Lacey (voiced by Julie-Ann Dean)
- Geraint Thomas
- Rosanna Crabb-LaHei
- Gavin Lazarus
- Sophie Whitehead
List of Sunny Day episodes
Nickelodeon, and Paramount Home Entertainment released a first DVD of the show with the same title on May 22, 2018. They then released a second DVD, Welcome to Pet Parlor, on September 3, 2019.
Awards and nominations
|2018||Daytime Emmy Awards||Outstanding Casting for an Animated Series or Special||Sunny Day||Nominated|
Books are released, and a toy line from Mattel was confirmed.
Sunny Day (TV series) Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.