Tagalog language facts for kids
Quick facts for kidsTagalog
|Region||Central and South Luzon|
|Native speakers||28 million (2007)
96% of the Philippines can speak Tagalog (2000)
|Writing system||Latin (Tagalog/Filipino);
|Official language in||Philippines (in the form of Filipino)|
|Regulated by||Commission on the Filipino Language|
It was originally spoken by the Tagalog people in the Philippines, who were mainly in Bulacan, Cavite, and some parts of Luzon. Now, Tagalog is spoken nationwide, just like English, and is a mix of Spanish, Malay, and English.
- Doon: there
- Banyo: Bathroom
- Wala: none
- May ______ ba kayo?: Do you have ______?(formal)
- Mayroon po: Response to "May ______ ba kayo", meaning "Yes, sir".
- Wala po: Opposite of "Mayroon po".
- Kayo: you (formal), informally, it refers to "you all".
- Magkano ito?: How much is this?
- po: ma'am or sir (used in sentences to be polite to an elder speaker)
- Mabuhay!: Long Live
- Sino Ka?: Who are you?
- Ako po si (Pangalan)...: I am (Name)...
- Mahal kita: I love you
- Nanay: Mom
- Tatay: Dad
- Hindi: No
- Bakit?: Why?
- Saan?: Where?
- Ano?: What?
- Kailan?: When?
- Sino: Who?
Images for kids
Tagalog language Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.