Timeline of Bakersfield, California facts for kids
Prior to 20th century
- 1873 - City of Bakersfield incorporated.
- 1888 - Bakersfield and Kern Electric Railway begins operating.
- July 7: Great Bakersfield Fire of 1889.
- Oil discovered.
- Bakersfield (Southern Pacific station) opens.
- 1904 - Beale Memorial Clock Tower built.
- 1907 - The Bakersfield Californian newspaper in publication.
- 1910 - Kern becomes part of Bakersfield.
- 1921 - Central Park established.
- 1928 - Kern County Chamber of Commerce Building and Padre Hotel constructed.
- 1929 - Hart Park opens.
- 1930 - Fox Theater in business.
- 1945 - Kern County Museum opens.
- 1954 - Bakersfield City Hall built.
- 1955 - Memorial Stadium opens.
- 1961 - Sister city relationship established with Wakayama, Japan.
- 1962 - Bakersfield News Bulletin begins publication.
- 1963 - Crest Drive-In cinema in business.
- 1964 - Goodwill thrift shop in business.
- 1965 - Community Action Partnership of Kern established.
- 1976 - Bakersfield Department of Water Resources established.
- December: Great Bakersfield Dust Storm of 1977.
- Mesa Marin Raceway opens.
- 1980 - California Living Museum (zoo) founded.
- 1983 - County Food Bank established.
- Hindu Temple of Kern County founded.
- Population: 174,820.
- 1996 - Buck Owens Crystal Palace (music hall) opens.
- Bakersfield (Amtrak station) opens.
- Population: 247,057.
- 2001 - Harvey Hall becomes mayor.
- 2006 - River Walk Park opens.
- Mill Creek linear park opens.
- Bakersfield 16 Cinema in business.
- 2013 - Kern County Raceway Park opens.
Timeline of Bakersfield, California Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.