The Vijayanagara empire was an Indian empire. From 1336 and afterwards, it was in the Deccan, in the peninsula and in southern India. It was founded by Harihara (Hakka) and his brother Bukka Raya. The empire is named after its capital city Vijayanagara, now Hampi in modern Karnataka, India. It began in 1336 and ended in 1660, though in its last century it began losing its power. Stories of the empire's creation and history are not certain, though tales of the empire's wealth and power were described by European travellers such as the Portuguese travelers Domingo Paes and Nuniz, and the Venetian traveler Niccolò Da Conti.
Dynasties and kings
This list is based on the book by Robert Sewell (A Forgotten Empire).
- Harihara I (Deva Raya) 1336-1343/56(some accounts claim that there was brief period of other ruler probably a 3rd brother)
- Bukka I 1343/56-1379
- Harihara II 1379-1399
- Bukka II 1399-1406
- Deva Raya I 1406-1412
- Vira Vijaya 1412-1419
- Deva Raya II 1419-1444
- (unknown) 1444-1449
- Mallikarjuna 1452-1465 (Dates uncertain)
- Rajasekhara 1468-1469 (Dates uncertain)
- Virupaksha I 1470-1471 (Dates uncertain)
- Praudha Deva Raya 1476-? (Dates uncertain)
- Rajasekhara 1479-1480 (Dates uncertain)
- Virupaksha II 1483-1484 (Dates uncertain)
- Rajasekhara 1486-1487 (Dates uncertain)
- Narasimha 1490-?
- Narasa (Vira Narasimha) ?-1509
- Krishna Deva 1509-1529
- Achyuta 1529-1542
- Sadasiva (puppet ruler in the hands of Ram Raya) 1542-1567
- Rama (ruled in practice) 1542-1565
- Tirumala (ruled in practice) 1565-1567
- Tirumala (crowned ruler) 1567-1575
- Ranga II 1575-1586
- Venkata I 1586-1614
Aravidu (dates are not known), includes these rulers. There is certainly more than one ruler under each name.
Images for kids
Vijayanagara Empire Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.