1289 facts for kids
|Centuries:||12th century – 13th century – 14th century|
|Decades:||1250s 1260s 1270s – 1280s – 1290s 1300s 1310s|
|Years:||1286 1287 1288 – 1289 – 1290 1291 1292|
- The 5,452 meter (17,887 feet) high volcano Popocatépetl is first ascended by members of the Tecuanipas tribe in present-day Mexico.
- April 27 – Fall of Tripoli: Mamluk sultan Qalawun captures the County of Tripoli (in present-day Lebanon) after a month-long siege, thus extinguishing the crusader state.
- Prince Subaru of Japan conquers the province of Saitama.
- June 11 – The Italian Guelph and Ghibelline factions fight in the Battle of Campaldino; the Guelph victory secures their position of power in Florence.
- Construction of Conwy Castle was ordered by King Edward I of England. It was completed in Wales.
- Jews are expelled from Gascony and Anjou in France.
- Construction of the Belaya Vezha tower in Belarus is completed.
- Pope Nicholas IV creates the University of Montpellier in France by papal bull. This combined various existing schools into a single university.
- In Siena, 23 partners re-create the Gran Tavola bank. It was formerly the most successful European bank. It ceased operations after the death of its creator and manager Orlando Bonsignori in 1273.
- Franciscan friars begin missionary work in China.
- October 4 – King Louis X of France (d. 1316)
- October 6 – King Wenceslaus III of Bohemia (d. 1306)
- King Leo IV of Armenia (d. 1307)
1289 Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.