Arkady Dvorkovich facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
3 October 2018
|Preceded by||Kirsan Ilyumzhinov|
|Deputy Prime Minister of Russia|
21 May 2012 – 7 May 2018
|Prime Minister||Dmitry Medvedev|
|Preceded by||Igor Sechin|
|Succeeded by||Alexey Gordeyev|
|Assistant to the President of the Russian Federation|
May 2008 – May 2012
|Succeeded by||Konstantin Chuychenko|
Arkady Vladimirovich Dvorkovich
26 March 1972
Moscow, Russian SFSR, Soviet Union (now Russia)
|Alma mater||Moscow State University, New Economic School, Duke University|
Arkady Vladimirovich Dvorkovich (Russian: Арка́дий Влади́мирович Дворко́вич; born 26 March 1972) is a Russian public servant and economist, who was Deputy Prime Minister in Dmitry Medvedev's Cabinet from 21 May 2012 until 7 May 2018. He was previously an Assistant to the President of the Russian Federation from May 2008 to May 2012.
Dvorkovich is considered to be a close confidant of Dmitry Medvedev and an important figure in Russian politics. He rose to prominence during Medvedev's presidency but has recently suffered from the resurgence of Igor Sechin. Since 2015, he is also the Chairman of the Board of the Directors in Russian Railways company.
Dvorkovich's father, Vladimir Dvorkovich, was an international chess arbiter. Dvorkovich is an official of the Russian Chess Federation and was elected president of FIDE in October 2018, succeeding Kirsan Ilyumzhinov.
- Moscow State University, Faculty of Economics (1994)
- New Economic School (1994)
- Duke University (1997)
- Since 1994 – consultant, senior expert, CEO, scientific director of the Economic Expert Group of the Ministry of Finance of Russia.
- Since 2000 – expert in the "Center for Strategic Research"
- Since August 2000 – adviser to the Minister for Economic Development of the Russian Federation German Gref
- Since 2001 – Deputy Minister for Economic Development of the Russian Federation
- Since April 2004 – Head of Expert Group of President of the Russian Federation
- Since 13 May 2008 – Assistant to the President of the Russian Federation
- 21 May 2012 until 7 May 2018 – Deputy Prime Minister of Russia
In 2018, he served as chairman of the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia Local Organizing Committee, collaborating closely with FIFA President Gianni Infantino, who praised him for his work afterwards. Subsequently, on 3 October 2018, he was elected FIDE President, receiving 103 votes, ahead of 78 votes for FIDE Vice President Georgios Markropoulos; noted English GM Nigel Short withdrew his candicacy only minutes before voting commenced.
Some of Dvorkovich's professional interests are economic regulation, financial management, and tax planning. According to BusinessWeek (2003) Arkady was included in the list of 50 potential world leaders.
In addition to Russian, Dvorkovich also speaks English and German.
Honours and awards
- Order of Merit for the Fatherland 4th class
- Order of Honour
- Medal 2nd class of the Order of Merit for the Fatherland
- Medal "In Commemoration of the 1000th Anniversary of Kazan"
- Officer of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic
Arkady Dvorkovich Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.