Arrondissements of the Charente department facts for kids
There are 3 arrondissements in the Charente department. The French departments, and in other countries, are divided into arrondissements, which may be translated into English as districts (in some cases, as boroughs). The capital of an arrondissement is called a subprefecture.
If the prefecture (capital) of the department is in an arrondissement, that prefecture is the capital of the arrondissement, acting both as a prefecture and as a subprefecture.
Arrondissements are further divided into communes.
The 3 arrondissements of Charente are:
- Arrondissement of Angoulême, (prefecture of the Charente department: Angoulême), with 148 communes.
- Arrondissement of Cognac, (subprefecture of the Charente department: Cognac), with 108 communes.
- Arrondissement of Confolens, (subprefecture of the Charente department: Confolens), with 138 communes.
Since its creation, the Charente department has had some changes:
- 1790 : creation of the Charente department with six districts: Ruffec, Confolens, La Rochefoucauld, Angoulême, Barbezieux and Cognac. Angoulême was the capital of the department.
- 1800 : creation of the arrondissements: Angoulême, Barbezieux, Cognac, Confolens and Ruffec; La Rochefoucauld was left out.
- 1926 : the arrondissements of Barbezieux and Ruffec were eliminated.
Arrondissements of the Charente department Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.