Axonopus compressus facts for kids
Quick facts for kidsAxonopus compressus
Axonopus compressus (syn. Axonopus compressus (Sw.) P.Beauv. var. australis G.A.Black, Milium compressum Sw., Paspalum compressum (Sw.) Nees, Paspalum platycaule Willd. ex Steud., Paspalum platycaulon Poir.) is a species of grass. It is often used as a permanent pasture, groundcover, and turf in moist, low fertility soils, particularly in shaded situations. It is generally too low-growing to be useful in cut-and-carry systems or for fodder conservation.
While not optimal, it is occasionally used for football fields especially those which are not for elite competitions or where only a low level of maintenance can be done.
- English: broadleaf carpetgrass, carpet-grass, American carpet grass, tropical carpet grass, blanket grass, lawn grass, Louisiana grass, savanna grass, Kearsney grass,
- Fijian: kambutu ni vavalangi
- French: buffalo américain
- Spanish: "Grama Brasilera (Arg.)", alfombra, grama bahiana, grama trenza, zacate amargo, zacate dulce
- Portuguese: grama-são-carlos, grama curitibana, grama-sempre-verde, grama tapete, capim-bananal, pasto
- Malay: "rumput parit" (grass – common species found natively in South East Asia)
Axonopus compressus Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.