Cliche River facts for kids
Quick facts for kidsCliche River
|Native name||Rivière Cliche|
|RCM||Robert-Cliche Regional County Municipality, La Nouvelle-Beauce Regional County Municipality|
|Main source||Forested streams
497 metres (1,631 ft)
46°18′55″N 71°00′35″W / 46.315353°N 71.009616°W
|River mouth||Chaudière River
139 metres (456 ft)
46°20′21″N 70°55′30″W / 46.33916°N 70.925°W
|Length||8.4 kilometres (5.2 mi)|
|Progression||Chaudière River, St. Lawrence|
The Cliche River (in French: rivière Cliche) is a tributary of the west bank of the Chaudière River which flows northwards to empty onto the south bank of the St. Lawrence River. It flows in the municipalities of Saint-Frédéric (MRC Robert-Cliche Regional County Municipality) and Saint-Joseph-des-Érables, in the La Nouvelle-Beauce Regional County Municipality, in the administrative region of Chaudière-Appalaches, in Quebec, in Canada.
The main neighboring watersheds of the Cliche river are:
- north side: Lessard River, Nadeau River, Savoie River, Chaudière River;
- east side: Chaudière River;
- south side: Castors stream, Ormes stream, rivière des Fermes, Cinque River;
- west side: Lessard River.
The Cliche river takes its source on the eastern slope of a mountain located in the northwestern part of the municipality of Saint-Frédéric. This head area is located 3.1 kilometres (1.9 mi) north-west of the village center of Saint-Frédéric, at 4.6 kilometres (2.9 mi) north of the village center of Tring-Jonction, at 3.3 kilometres (2.1 mi) east of the center of the village of Siant-Séverin and at 6.4 kilometres (4.0 mi) west of the Chaudière River.
From its source, the Cliche river flows over 8.4 kilometres (5.2 mi) divided into the following segments:
- 0.7 kilometres (0.43 mi) southeasterly, in the municipality of Saint-Frédéric, to rang Saint-Narcisse road;
- 1.2 kilometres (0.75 mi) southeasterly, to rang Saint-Pierre road;
- 2.6 kilometres (1.6 mi) northeasterly, to route 112;
- 2.1 kilometres (1.3 mi) northeasterly, to the limit of the municipality of Saint-Joseph-des-Érables, Quebec|Saint-Joseph-des-Érables;
- 1.8 kilometres (1.1 mi) eastward, up to its confluence.
The Cliche river empties on the west bank of the Chaudière River, in Saint-Joseph-des-Érables. This confluence is located 3.8 kilometres (2.4 mi) upstream of the bridge in the village of Vallée-Jonction and at 4.3 kilometres (2.7 mi) downstream of the Saint-Joseph-de-Beauce.
The toponym Rivière Cliche was formalized on August 28, 1980 at the Commission de toponymie du Québec.