Elisabeth Charlotte of the Palatinate facts for kids(Redirected from Elizabeth Charlotte of the Palatinate)
|Elisabeth Charlotte of the Palatinate|
Liselotte by Rigaud
|Duchess of Orléans|
|Tenure||16 November 1671 – 9 June 1701|
27 May 1652|
Heidelberg Castle, Heidelberg
|Died||8 December 1722
Château de Saint Cloud, France
|Burial||10 December 1722
Royal Basilica of Saint Denis, France
|Spouse||Philippe, Duke of Orléans|
|Alexandre Louis, Duke of Valois
Philippe, Duke of Orléans, Regent of France
Élisabeth Charlotte, Duchess of Lorraine
|Father||Charles I Louis, Elector Palatine|
|Mother||Charlotte of Hesse-Kassel|
Elisabeth Charlotte of the Palatinate (27 May 1652 - 8 December 1722) was a German princess and the wife of Philippe, Duke of Orléans, younger brother of Louis XIV. She is best known for her vast correspondence detailing the court of her brother in law. She was referred to at court as simply Madame, as well as La Palatine and the Princess Palatine.
- Alexandre Louis d'Orléans, Duke of Valois (2 June 1673 – 16 March 1676) died in infancy;
- Philippe d'Orléans (2 August 1674 – 2 December 1723) married Françoise Marie de Bourbon, Légitimée de France and had children (descendants include Louis Philippe I);
- Élisabeth Charlotte d'Orléans (13 September 1676 – 24 December 1744) married Léopold of Lorraine, Duke of Lorraine and had children (descendants include Marie Antoinette.)
Titles and Styles
- 27 May 1652 – 16 November 1671 Princess Palatine Elisabeth Charlotte, Countess Palatine of Simmern.
- 16 November 1671 – 9 June 1701 Her Royal Highness Madame, Duchess of Orléans.
- 9 June 1701 – 8 December 1722 Her Royal Highness Madame, Dowager Duchess of Orléans.
Images for kids
Liselotte in later life, by Hyacinthe Rigaud.
Elisabeth Charlotte of the Palatinate Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.