Embassy of Russia, London facts for kids
Quick facts for kidsEmbassy of Russia in London
|Location:||Holland Park, London|
|Address:||6/7 Kensington Palace Gardens, London, W8 4QP|
|Ambassador:||Alexander Vladimirovich Yakovenko|
The Embassy of Russia in London is the diplomatic mission of Russia in the United Kingdom. The main building and Consular section is located at 5 and 6-7 Kensington Palace Gardens at the junction with Bayswater Road, with the Ambassador's Residence located in a separate building at 13 Kensington Palace Gardens (Harrington House). Russia also maintains a Defence Attaché's Office at 44 Millfield Lane, Highgate and an Office of the Trade Representative at 33 Highgate West Hill, Highgate.
The embassy of the Russian Empire was located at Chesham Place, Belgravia; this then functioned as the Embassy of the new Soviet Union from 1924-27. Diplomatic relations were suspended during the period 1927-29 and following their resumption the Soviet government moved to the various buildings on Kensington Palace Gardens which were inherited by the Russian Federation following the dissolution of the USSR.
The embassy has seen several protests over the years:
- 2008 - the Cluster Munition Coalition and Landmine Action protested against Russia's alleged use of cluster bombs in the 2008 South Ossetia War between Russia and Georgia
- 2008 - Pro-Georgian protesters, opposed to Russia's role in the recent South Ossetia War, gathered outside the embassy
- 2011 - Peter Tatchell and supporters protested about the allegedly poor state of gay rights in Russia
- 2012 - a protest was held by people opposed to the jailing of the punk band Pussy Riot.
- 2012 - opponents of the Bashar al-Assad regime in Syria (which is strongly supported by Russia) protested outside the embassy, allegedly damaging it
- 2013 - a large protest, attended by the actor Jude Law and musician Damon Albarn, took place outside the embassy following the arrest of several Greenpeace activists in the Pechora Sea.
- 2013 - a protest occurred seeking to free the journalist Kieron Bryan and the Greenpeace activists
Embassy of Russia, London Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.