Fianna Fáil facts for kids
Fianna Fáil is an Irish political party. It was founded in 1926 by Éamon DeValera. Its leader is Michéal Martin. It is a faction of the Sinn Fein, another Irish political party alongside the Fine Gael. Its name is translated from Irish as 'Soldiers of Destiny' but literally means 'Warriors of Fál' (Fál was the name of Ireland in legends). Fianna Fáil does not support the Anglo-Irish treaty, unlike the Fine Gael.
There have been eight leaders of the Fianna Fáil since its creation in 1926. They are:
- Éamon de Valera, (1926 - 1959)
- Seán Lemass, (1959 - 1966)
- Jack Lynch, (1966 - 1979)
- Charles Haughey, (1979 - 1992)
- Albert Reynolds, (1992 - 1994)
- Bertie Ahern, (1994 - 2008)
- Brian Cowen, (2008 - 2011)
- Micháel Martin (2011 onwards)
The Youth Wing of Fianna Fáil is the Ógra Fianna Fáil, which was created in 1975 to get younger people to vote and support the party.
Images for kids
- In Spanish: Fianna Fáil
All content from Kiddle encyclopedia articles (including the article images and facts) can be freely used under Attribution-ShareAlike license, unless stated otherwise. Cite this article:Fianna Fáil Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.