Islamic Republic facts for kids
Islamic Republic is the name given to forms of government of several states. These states often have Islam as a state religion and are governed by the principles of Sharia, islamic law. Laws made by the state cannot contradict Sharia.
The following states call themselves Islamic Republic (non-exhaustive list)
- Iran (after Shah Pahlavi was overthrown in 1979)
- Pakistan (Since the constitution of 1956, state founded to provide a homeland for Muslims living in Colonial India, in 1947)
- Afghanistan (since the overthrow of the Taliban in 2001)
- Mauritania (since 1958)
- Comoros (Federal Islamic Republic)
- The Gambia (since December 2015)
Despite the similar name the countries differ greatly in their governments and laws.
Islamic Republic Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.