Kapan facts for kids
Kapan with Mount Khustup in the background
|• Total||35.70 km2 (13.78 sq mi)|
|Elevation||905.5 m (2,970.8 ft)|
|• Density||1,274.17/km2 (3,300.1/sq mi)|
|Time zone||GMT+4 (UTC+4)|
|• Summer (DST)||GMT+5 (UTC+5)|
|Website||Kapan Official Website|
Kapan is a town in the south of Armenia. It was also named Kafan and Madan. It is the capital of the Syunik Province. In 2010 there 45,488 people. Kapan is the city with the most peoplecity in the province and southern Armenia.
Kapan is from the Armenian word kapel which mean "to lock".
- Vahanavank monastery
- Baghaberd and Halidzor Fortresses.
- Tatev Monastery
- Monument to David Bek.
- Kapan College of Music
- Kapan Archaeological and Ethnographic Museum
- Kapan Theatre
- Gandzasar FC - football club
- Lernagorts Kapan FC - football club
Notable People from Kapan
- Ogtay Asadov - Speaker of National Assembly of Azerbaijan
- Karen Sargsyan - Principal choirmaster of the Armenian Opera Theater
- Tatoul Markarian - Armenian ambassador to United States
Images for kids
Kapan Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.