Kidnapped (1960 film) facts for kids
Quick facts for kidsKidnapped
Original theatrical poster by Reynold Brown
|Directed by||Robert Stevenson|
|Produced by||Walt Disney|
|Written by||Robert Stevenson|
|Music by||Cedric Thorpe Davie|
|Editing by||Gordon Stone|
|Studio||Walt Disney Productions|
|Distributed by||Buena Vista Distribution|
|Release date(s)||February 24, 1960|
|Running time||97 minutes|
Kidnapped is a 1960 Walt Disney Productions live-action film adaptation of Robert Louis Stevenson's classic 1886 novel Kidnapped. It stars Peter Finch and James MacArthur, and was Disney's second production based on a novel by Stevenson, the first being Treasure Island. It also marked Peter O'Toole's feature-film debut.
In 18th-century Scotland, young David Balfour (James MacArthur) takes a letter of introduction from his recently deceased father to the House of Shaws, where he is greeted without much enthusiasm by his miserly uncle Ebenezer (John Laurie). David finds that Ebenezer is disliked by his neighbours and begins to ask questions about family affairs. Ebenezer tries to arrange a fatal accident for David. David accompanies Ebenezer to a meeting with a seafaring associate, Captain Hoseason (Bernard Lee). Hoseason lures David aboard his ship and shanghais him, at Ebenezer's instigation.
At sea, David learns he is to be sold into indentured servitude. A fog comes up and the ship collides with a boat. Alan Breck Stewart (Peter Finch), the only survivor of the boat, is brought aboard and pays for his passage, but the captain plots to kill him for the rest of his money. David warns Alan, and they overcome the crew. Alan coerces Hoseason into putting them ashore. The ship founders, but David manages to reach land.
After several dangerous encounters, he is rescued by Alan, who turns out to be a Jacobite wanted by the authorities. Evading the soldiers, the two make their way back to the House of Shaws, where Alan tricks Ebenezer into admitting his crimes within the hearing of a hidden witness, allowing David to claim his inheritance.
- Peter Finch as Allan Breck Stewart
- James MacArthur as David Balfour
- Bernard Lee as Captain Hoseason
- John Laurie as Ebenezer Balfour
- Niall MacGinnis as Mr. Shuan
- Finlay Currie as Cluny MacPherson
- Miles Malleson as Mr. Rankeillor
- Duncan Macrae as The Highlander
- Andrew Cruickshank as Colin Campbell
- Peter O'Toole as Robin MacGregor
- Alex Mackenzie as The Ferryman
- Oliver Johnston as Mr. Campbell
- Norman Macowan as Tinker
- Eileen Way as Jennet Clouston
- Edie Martin as the woman on the bridge (from whom Alan Breck buys the pipe and tobacco)
- Abe Barker as Donald Dhu MacLaren
- Richard Evans (uncredited) as Ransome, the cabin boy
Kidnapped (1960 film) Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.