List of museums and cultural institutions in Omaha, Nebraska facts for kids
There are many cultural institutions and museums in Omaha, Nebraska. The city has a major museum, and several regionally important museums.
Art (encyclopedic collection)
- The Joslyn Art Museum is nationally renowned for its collections of Native American art and art works relating to the early European exploration of western North America.
- The Bemis Center for Contemporary Arts, just east of Omaha's Old Market Historic District, was founded in the early 1980s and plays host to artists from all over the world. It is one of the nation's premier artists' colonies.
- Bemis was founded by Ree Kaneko, wife of famed Japanese American artist Jun Kaneko. They live in Omaha, and opened a museum called Kaneko in 2007.
- Lauritzen Gardens, Omaha's Botanical Center
- Since its inception in 1976, Omaha Children's Museum has been a place where children can challenge themselves, discover how the world works and learn through play.
- The Durham Museum is located on 10th Street in the art deco Union Station. The museum has numerous permanent exhibits and is accredited with the Smithsonian Institution for traveling exhibits from the Smithsonian.
- Sokol South Omaha Czechoslovak Museum
- El Museo Latino celebrates the legacy, art and culture of Latin America, and is the first Latino art & history museum in Omaha.
- The Great Plains Black History Museum, celebrating the legacy of African Americans in Omaha and throughout the U.S. Midwest.
- Henry and Dorothy Riekes Museum, located at the Omaha Jewish Community Center.
Specialized and historical
- Florence Depot
- The General Crook House Museum at Fort Omaha, exploring the role of the U.S. Army during the Indian Wars of the 1900s, is part of the Douglas County Historical Society.
- Florence Mill
- Freedom Park Navy Museum
- Gerald R. Ford Birthsite and Gardens
- Joslyn Castle
- Nebraska School for the Deaf Museum
- Lewis and Clark National Historic Trail Headquarters and Visitor Center
- Mormon Trail Center
- Bank of Florence Museum
- Boys Town Hall of History
- Omaha Black Music Hall of Fame
- Omaha Home for Boys Visitors Center History Museum
- Batchelder Family Scout Museum
- Trinity Cathedral Historical Society
- Fontenelle Forest
- Henry Doorly Zoo
- Lee G. Simmons Conservation Park and Wildlife Safari
- Omaha Public Library
- University Archives, University Library, University of Nebraska-Omaha
Festivals and fairs
- Maha Music Festival
- Native Omaha Days
- Omaha Blues, Jazz, & Gospel Festival
- Red Sky Music Festival
Music, theater and performing arts
- Astro Theater
- CenturyLink Center Omaha
- Cog Factory
- Creighton Orpheum Theater
- Holland Performing Arts Center
- Omaha Civic Auditorium
- Omaha Community Playhouse
- Sokol Underground
- Omaha Academy of Ballet
- The Rose
- Opera Omaha
- Omaha Symphony Orchestra
- Blue Barn Theatre
- Magic Theatre
- Shelterbelt Theatre
- Saddle Creek Records
Not-for-profit and university galleries
- Loves Jazz and Arts Center
- John Beasley Theater
List of museums and cultural institutions in Omaha, Nebraska Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.