Greenfield, New York
|• Total||67.7 sq mi (175.4 km2)|
|• Land||67.4 sq mi (174.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.3 sq mi (0.8 km2)|
|Elevation||591 ft (180 m)|
|• Density||109.2/sq mi (42.2/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0979019|
The Town of Greenfield is an interior town. The town is northwest of Saratoga Springs, which it borders.
The town sends students to Saratoga Springs City School District.
The town was settled first around 1786. The town was formed in 1793 from parts of the Towns of Saratoga and Ballston. The size was reduced in 1794 by contributions of part of its territory to newer towns: Day, Corinth, and Hadley.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 67.7 square miles (175 km2), of which, 67.4 square miles (175 km2) of it is land and 0.3 square miles (0.78 km2) of it (0.46%) is water.
Greenfield is the largest town in the county, based on area.
Route 9N, a north-south highway, passes through east part of the town.
As of the census of 2000, there were 7,362 people, 2,761 households, and 2,007 families residing in the town. The population density was 109.2 people per square mile (42.2/km²). There were 3,222 housing units at an average density of 47.8 per square mile (18.5/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 97.45% White, 0.65% African American, 0.14% Native American, 0.34% Asian, 0.22% from other races, and 1.21% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.13% of the population.
There were 2,761 households out of which 38.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.2% were married couples living together, 9.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.3% were non-families. 20.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.66 and the average family size was 3.05.
In the town, the population was spread out with 27.2% under the age of 18, 7.3% from 18 to 24, 32.4% from 25 to 44, 23.6% from 45 to 64, and 9.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 100.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 98.4 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $44,784, and the median income for a family was $48,299. Males had a median income of $35,112 versus $27,127 for females. The per capita income for the town was $20,014. About 4.3% of families and 6.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 8.5% of those under age 18 and 3.4% of those age 65 or over.
Communities and locations in Greenfield
- Chatfield Corner – A hamlet in the southwest part of the town on County Road 12.
- Frink Corner – A location on the south town line, southwest of Middle Grove.
- Greenfield – A hamlet in the south part of the town on County Road 19.
- Greenfield Center – A hamlet on NY-9N at the junction of County Road 36.
- Kings – A hamlet south of North Greenfield on NY-9N.
- Lake Desolation – (1) A hamlet in the northwest corner of the town on County Road 12 by (2) a lake, also known as Lake Desolation.
- Middle Grove – A hamlet in the southwest part of the town. It was earlier known as "Jamesville."
- Mt. Pleasant – A location in the northwest corner of the town, north of Lake Desolation.
- North Greenfield – A hamlet on NY-9N north of Greenfield Center.
- Pages Corners – A hamlet by the south town line between Middle Grove and South Greenfield on County Road 21.
- Porter Corners – A hamlet southwest of North Greenfield on County Road 19.
- South Greenfield – A location south of Greenfield village.
Greenfield, New York Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.