River Park (Fresno, California) facts for kids
River Park Shopping Center sign at North Blackstone Avenue
|Location||Fresno, California, United States|
|Address||70 El Camino|
|Opening date||1996 (Marketplace)
|Management||Lance-Kashian & Company|
|No. of stores and services||>75|
|No. of anchor tenants||5|
|No. of floors||1 (2 in Macy’s & REI)|
|Parking||lot and garage|
River Park is an outdoor shopping center in Fresno, California on the east side of Blackstone Avenue. River Park is divided into three areas: The Marketplace, a traditional power center anchored by Target and Kohl's; an auxiliary shopping center with Chick-fil-A, Chipotle Mexican Grill and In-N-Out Burger, and The Shops at River Park, an outdoor lifestyle center anchored by Macy's, an Edwards Theatres cinema, and REI.
River Park opened in several phases starting in 1996. Target and Best Buy anchored the initial phase of the project, which also included Old Navy, Marshalls, OfficeMax, Sports Authority, a JCPenney Home Store, and defunct retailer Linens 'n Things. Kohl's opened in 2004, followed by an expansion of the shopping center's lifestyle center The Shops at River Park in 2005. This added Gottschalks and REI as additional anchors, along with the existing Home Fabrics, Borders (defunct since 2011) and Edwards Cinema. The bankruptcies and subsequent liquidations of CompUSA, Gottschalks, Borders, and Sports Authority left several large boxes in the center, which were filled with an Ashley Furniture, Macy's, an H&M, and a Dick's Sporting Goods respectively.
JCPenney Home Store closed in August 2017, with a smaller selection of home products being added at the JCPenney department store at nearby Fashion Fair Mall.
Romano's Macaroni Grill, an original restaurant to The Marketplace opening in 1998, permanently closed in April 2020. It is not known what will replace the restaurant at this time.
Anchors and Major Stores
- Target - 126,929 sq ft (11,792.1 m2)
- Macy's - 100,000 sq ft (9,300 m2), opened 2010 in former Gottschalks
- Edwards Cinemas - 94,600 sq ft (8,790 m2)
- Kohl's - 90,000 sq ft (8,400 m2)
- Bob's Discount Furniture - 50,885 sq ft (4,727.4 m2), formerly JCPenney Home Store (1996-2017)
- Dick's Sporting Goods - 43,200 sq ft (4,010 m2), opened 2017 in former Sports Authority
- Best Buy - 40,438 sq ft (3,756.8 m2)
- OfficeMax - 5,000 sq ft (460 m2)
- Marshall's - 30,500 sq ft (2,830 m2)
- REI - 25,526 sq ft (2,371.4 m2)
- H&M - 25,000 sq ft (2,300 m2), opened 2014 in former Borders
- Buy Buy Baby - 20,000 sq ft (1,900 m2), opened 2011 in former Linens 'n Things
- Yard House - 6,000 sq ft (560 m2), opened 2014 in former Zany Brainy
- Ashley Furniture - 5,000 sq ft (460 m2), opened 2010 in former CompUSA
River Park (Fresno, California) Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.