Scottish Labour Party facts for kids
The Scottish Labour Party is a political party in Scotland. It is part of the British Labour Party. The party's policies usually promote social democracy and democratic socialism. It also supports Scotland remaining part of the United Kingdom.
In the Scottish Parliament, it is the main opposition party. It controls 37 out of 129 seats. The party also controls 1 out of 59 Scottish seats in the House of Commons of the United Kingdom (having previously held 41) and 2 out of 6 Scottish seats in the European Parliament.
Following a heavy defeat in Scotland in the United Kingdom general election, 2015, Jim Murphy announced his resignation as party leader on 16 May 2015. On 15 August 2015 Kezia Dugdale was elected leader of the party, with Alex Rowley as her deputy.
List of Leaders since 1999
- Donald Dewar (1999-2000), 1st First Minister of Scotland, died in office
- Henry McLeish (2000-2001), 2nd First Minister of Scotland, resigned
- Jack McConnell (2001-2007), 3rd First Minister of Scotland, lost Scottish Parliament election
- Wendy Alexander (2007-2008), resigned
- Iain Gray (2008-2011), lost Scottish Parliament election
- Johann Lamont (2011-2014), resigned
- Jim Murphy (2014-2015), resigned following the United Kingdom general election, 2015
- Kezia Dugdale (2015-)
Scottish Labour Party Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.