Scottish Labour Party facts for kids
The Scottish Labour Party is a political party in Scotland. It is part of the British Labour Party. The party's policies usually promote social democracy and democratic socialism. It also supports Scotland remaining part of the United Kingdom and the UK remaining a member of the European Union.
In the Scottish Parliament, it is the third party. It controls 23 out of 129 seats. The party also control 1 out of 59 Scottish seats in the House of Commons of the United Kingdom (having previously held 41)
Following a heavy defeat in Scotland in the United Kingdom general election, 2015, Jim Murphy announced his resignation as party leader on 16 May 2015. On 15 August 2015 Kezia Dugdale was elected leader of the party, with Alex Rowley as her deputy. In 2017 Dugdale resigned and Rowley became acting leader. Richard Leonard was elected as the party's leader on 18 November 2017.
List of Leaders since 1999
- Donald Dewar (1999–2000), 1st First Minister of Scotland, died in office
- Henry McLeish (2000–2001), 2nd First Minister of Scotland, resigned
- Jack McConnell (2001–2007), 3rd First Minister of Scotland, lost Scottish Parliament election
- Wendy Alexander (2007–2008), resigned
- Iain Gray (2008–2011), lost Scottish Parliament election
- Johann Lamont (2011–2014), resigned
- Jim Murphy (2014–2015), resigned following the United Kingdom general election, 2015
- Kezia Dugdale (2015–2017), resigned
- Richard Leonard (2017–present)
Scottish Labour Party Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.