Seyi Makinde facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Seyi Makinde at LSE Africa Summit
|Governor of Oyo State|
29 May 2019
|Preceded by||Abiola Ajimobi|
Oluseyi Abiodun Makinde
25 December 1967
Ibadan, Western State, Nigeria (now Oyo State, Nigeria)
|Political party||People's Democratic Party|
|Education||University of Lagos|
|Known for||Group Managing Director of Makon Group Limited|
Oluseyi Abiodun Makinde (born 25 December 1967) is a Nigerian businessman, politician and philanthropist who has served as Governor of Oyo State since 29 May 2019. He is an engineer and a subject matter expert on fluid and gas metering. He is the group managing director of Makon Group Limited; an indigenous oil and gas company in Nigeria. He established his first oil and gas private business called Makon Engineering and Technical Services, (METS) at the age of 29 in the year 1997, after earning years of work experience with international oil and gas companies.
Makinde had contested for the 2015 Oyo State gubernatorial election on the platform Social Democratic Party (SDP) but lost.
Early life and education
Makinde was born to a teacher turned accountant, Pa Olatubosun Makinde, and Abigail Makinde of Aigbofa Compound in Oja’ba, Ibadan, Oyo State. He is the third child of the family. Makinde began his education at St Paul Primary School and completed his primary education at St Michael Primary School, Yemetu, Ibadan. His secondary education was at Bishop Phillips Academy, Monatan, Ibadan. In 1985, he gained admission to the University of Lagos (Unilag) where he earned his bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering.
In 1998, Makinde trained at Industrial Control Services in Houston, Texas on Safety Shutdown System; and Development of Analytical Competence for Managing Operations at Lagos Business School (now Pan-Atlantic University)in 1999. In 2000, he had training in automation. In 2002, he studied Fundamentals of Crude Sampling at Jiskoot Auto Control Training Centre, Kent, England. Also, in 2005, he studied Understanding and Solving Complex Business Problems at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), USA.
Professional and business career
Makinde did his national service (NYSC) with Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC) of Nigeria, where he was later engaged as a pupil engineer. He served in different capacities; handling and partaking in several key projects between 1990 and 1992. From 1992 to 1997, he worked as a field Engineer (Eket operations) for Rebold International Limited and in 1995, he was appointed as Field Manager in the same company.
In 1997, Makinde established his first business, Makon Engineering and Technical Services Limited (METS), after working for five years (1992-1997) with various international oil and gas companies (IOCs), as the Engineering Manager. He is now the group managing director of Makon Group of Companies.
Makinde is a member of national and international professional bodies notably: Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE), Council for Regulations of Engineering in Nigeria (COREN), Oil and Gas Design Engineers of Nigeria (OGDEN), International Society of Automation (ISA), Institute of Measurement and Control UK; and American Measurement Institute (AMI).
Awards and recognitions
- Nigerian Union of Journalists (Oyo State Council)-Laudable Contribution to Humanity Merit Award.
- National Association of Oke-Ogun Students (Ibadan)-Merit Award.
- Fiditi Grammar School (Oyo State)-Old Student Merit Award in appreciation to the commitment, dedication and service to the association and humanity.
- Junior Chamber International (JCI) University of Calabar Chapter.-Entrepreneurial Excellence Award.
- Sports Writers Association of Nigeria (Oyo State Chapter)-Gold Merit Award for immense and invaluable contribution to sports development.
- Nigerian Association of Social Workers Merit Awards (Oyo State Chapter)-Philanthropic gestures and contribution to Social Care Delivery Services.
- CCII National Merit Award.
- Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria (Ibadan) - awarded Seyi "Astute Politician of the Year 2018" for his resilience with which he had continued to assist the less privileged in the society.
Seyi Makinde Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.