Skandia Township, Michigan facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Skandia Township, Michigan
|• Total||72.1 sq mi (186.7 km2)|
|• Land||72.0 sq mi (186.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||1,099 ft (335 m)|
|• Density||12.6/sq mi (4.9/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1627085|
Skandia Township is a civil township of Marquette County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 907 at the 2000 census. The township contains the Dukes Research Natural Area, a National Natural Landmark.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 72.1 square miles (187 km2), of which 72.0 square miles (186 km2) is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) (0.08%) is water.
- Carlshend is an unincorporated community in the township. It was founded in 1893 by Karl Petros Janssen also known as Carl Peter Johnson. He wanted to name it Carlslund but the post office mangled it into its current name.
- Dukes is an unincorporated community in the township. It began around a railroad station in 1926 and was largely settled by Finnish immigrants. The settlers themselves named it Lehtola. It was given a post office in 1929 which operated periodically until 1963.
- Lawson is an unincorporated community in the township.
- Maple Grove is an unincorporated community in the township.
- Selma is an unincorporated community in the township.
- Vick is an unincorporated community in the township.
As of the census of 2000, there were 907 people, 351 households, and 261 families residing in the township. The population density was 12.6 per square mile (4.9/km²). There were 435 housing units at an average density of 6.0 per square mile (2.3/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 96.80% White, 1.21% Native American, 0.11% Asian, 0.33% from other races, and 1.54% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.55% of the population.
There were 351 households out of which 32.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 63.0% were married couples living together, 6.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.6% were non-families. 21.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.58 and the average family size was 2.96.
In the township the population was spread out with 25.6% under the age of 18, 7.3% from 18 to 24, 29.0% from 25 to 44, 26.7% from 45 to 64, and 11.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 108.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 100.3 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $38,125, and the median income for a family was $45,234. Males had a median income of $33,636 versus $22,361 for females. The per capita income for the township was $16,941. About 4.8% of families and 6.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 5.7% of those under age 18 and 18.2% of those age 65 or over.
Skandia Township, Michigan Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.