St James' Church, Staveley facts for kids
Quick facts for kidsSt James’ Church, Staveley
St James’ Church, Staveley
|Denomination||Church of England|
|Consecrated||24 April 1865|
|Heritage designation||Grade II listed|
|Architect(s)||J. S. Crowther|
|Groundbreaking||24 September 1863|
|Construction cost||£1,500 (equivalent to £104,800 in 2021)|
|Archdeaconry||Westmoreland & Furness|
St James' Church, Staveley is a Grade II listed parish church in the Church of England in Staveley, Cumbria. Its benefice is united with that of St Martin's Church, Bowness-on-Windermere; St Anne’s Church, Ings; St Cuthbert's Church, Kentmere; Jesus Church, Troutbeck and St Mary's Church, Windermere.
In the 1860s Staveley´s 14th century church was replaced with a new one on a different site. Only the tower of the old church survives. The new church was designed by the architect, J. S. Crowther of Manchester, in Early English style. The foundation stone was laid on 24 September 1863 by General Upton, acting on behalf of Hon. Mrs Howard, the Lady of the Manor.
It was consecrated by the Bishop of Carlisle, Rt Revd Samuel Waldegrave on 24 April 1865 at which point the only outstanding item was the spirelet.
- William Hudson ???? - 1658
- James Robinson 1676 - 1691
- William Harrison 1691 - 1724
- Thomas Garnett 1724 - 1742
- Isaac Knipe 1742 - 1754
- William Langhorne 1754 - 1757
- George Myres 1757 - 1806
- Peter Strickland 1807 - 1837
- James G. Elleray 1837 - 1858
- William Chaplin (Sen.) 1858 - 1898
- John Hawkesworth 1898 - 1902
- William Chaplin 1902 - 1920
- Ernest W.J. McConnel 1920 - 1943
- Eric E. Oliver 1943 - 1976
- Stephen Swidenbank 1976 - 1985
- John Woolcock 1986 - 1993
- Geoffrey Watson 1994 - 2013
- Shanthi Thompson 2013 - current
- East Window. Outstanding pre-Raphaelite glass made by Morris and Co to designs of Edward Burne-Jones 1878.
The church organ was built by Wilkinson and Son of Kendal and inaugurated on 25 September 1866 by Mr Smallwood of St George's Church, Kendal. A specification of the organ can be found on the National Pipe Organ Register.
St James' Church, Staveley Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.