Tamworth Central Business District, New South Wales facts for kids
|Tamworth Central Business District
Tamworth, New South Wales
|LGA:||Tamworth Regional Council|
|Federal Division:||New England|
The Tamworth Central Business District is a suburb of Tamworth, New South Wales, Australia, in the city centre and is located north of the Peel River. It is primarily a business area of Tamworth, with many shops, restaurants, car dealerships, as well as shopping centres and public facilities. The Tamworth Regional Council has its headquarters in Peel St at Ray Walsh House. Bicentennial Park and number one cricket oval are also located in the suburb.
The majority of shops and shopping centres are located along the main street Peel St. Named after former British Prime Minister Robert Peel, it was refurbished in the 1990s as part of the city's urban and streetscape renewal.There are approximately a few hundred shops in the main street, as well as restaurants, street cafés and banks. These include a large Target (formally Grace Bros.), ANZ, Commonwealth, Westpac & St George Banks, and many more.
- Centrepoint Shopping Centre - A $35 million shopping centre began construction in early 2007 and will be complete by early 2008 behind the Tamworth Town Hall, in the CBD between the old city library and behind the specialty shops in the main street Peel st. The shopping centre will link up with the current small Centrepoint Arcade through which access to Peel St will be and the entire centre will be known as Centrepoint Shopping Centre. Franklins supermarket will open in the centre as well as 5 cinemas & a performing arts centre/theatre that also doubles as a cinema, a boutique bowling alley and karaoke concept, restaurants, food court & 40 specialty shops .
- Tamworth City Plaza - Is located in the (CBD) with 42 shops including Coles, Kmart, Liquor Land, fresh food shops, retail shops, services and a food court.
- The Atrium - Is located in the CBD with entrances from Peel St and Kable Avenue. It is known for its quality shops and settings. The centre has recently undergone a substantial upgrade, including a new range of boutique retails.
- Tamworth Regional Library
- Tamworth Regional Art Gallery.
Tamworth Central Business District, New South Wales Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.