Timeline of Laredo, Texas facts for kids
Part of a series on the
|History of Texas|
- 1755 - May 15: Villa de Laredo founded by Tomás Sánchez and others in Spanish colonial Nuevo Santander, Viceroyalty of New Spain.
- 1760 - Chapel built.
- 1767 - San Agustin Church founded.
- 1790 - Population: 708.
- 1821 - Laredo becomes part of independent Mexican Empire.
- 1840 - Laredo becomes capital of the Mexican insurgent Republic of the Rio Grande during the Mexican Federalist War.
- 1846 - Laredo taken by U.S Texas Rangers during the Mexican–American War.
- 1847 - U.S. forces occupy town.
- 1849 - U.S military Camp Crawford established.
- 1852 - Laredo "chartered as a Texas city."
- 1860 - Population: 1,256.
- 1872 - San Agustin Church rebuilt.
- Corpus Christi-Laredo railway begins operating.
- Population: 3,521.
- Mexico-Laredo railway begins operating.
- St. Peter's neighborhood development begins.
- City plan for Laredo and Nuevo Laredo, "'Plano de los Dos Laredos' created by E.R. Laroche."
- Laredo Seminary and city water works established.
- County Courthouse built.
- 1883 - Daily Laredo Times newspaper begins publication.
- 1888 - Laredo Improvement Company formed.
- Street railway begins operating.
- "Foot and wagon bridge built across the Rio Grande" at Convent Avenue.
- 1890 - Population: 11,319.
- 1898 - Onion farming begins (approximate date).
- 1904 - Laredo Academy established.
- 1908 - Discovery of natural gas in vicinity of Laredo.
- 1909 - Webb County Courthouse built.
- 1910 - Population: 14,855.
- 1911 - Liga Femenil Mexicanista (women's group) founded in Laredo.
- 1915 - Laredo public library active (approximate date).
- 1920 - Population: 22,710.
- International Bridge opens.
- Azteca Theater opens.
- 1937 - Foundry Workers' Union of Laredo formed.
- 1947 - Laredo Junior College established.
- 1950 - Population: 51,910.
- 1954 - Flood.
- River Drive Mall in business.
- Population: 69,678.
- 1977 - Mall del Norte in business.
- 1978 - Aldo Tatangelo becomes mayor.
- Webb County Heritage Foundation established.
- Population: 91,449.
- Saul N. Ramirez, Jr. becomes mayor.
- Population: 122,899.
- Laredo Community College active.
- Cinemark Movies 12 (cinema) in business.
- 1998 - Betty Flores becomes mayor.
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Laredo established.
- Population: 176,576.
- 2001 - City website online (approximate date).[chronology citation needed]
- 2005 - Henry Cuellar becomes U.S. representative for Texas's 28th congressional district.
- 2006 - Raul G. Salinas becomes mayor.
- 2007 - Cinemark Mall Del Norte (cinema) in business.
- 2008 - Rio Grande Detention Center opens, housing up to 1900 federal prisoners for the U.S. government
- 2010 - Population: 236,091.
- 2014 - Pete Saenz becomes mayor.
Timeline of Laredo, Texas Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.