Abdullah Al-Salim Al-Sabah facts for kids
Quick facts for kidsSheikh Abdullah Al-Salem Al-Mubarak Al-Sabah
عبدالله السالم المبارك الصباح
|Emir of Kuwait|
|Reign||29 January 1950 – 24 November 1965|
|Coronation||25 February 1950|
|Predecessor||Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah|
|Successor||Sabah III Al-Salim Al-Sabah|
Sheikhdom of Kuwait
|Died||24 November 1965(aged 69–70)|
|Father||Salim Al-Mubarak Al-Sabah|
|Mother||Sheikha Mariam bint Jarrah Al-Sabah|
Sheikh Abdullah Al-Salim Al-Sabah (1895 – 24 November 1965, Arabic: الشيخ عبد الله الثالث السالم الصباح) was the eleventh ruler of Kuwait, the first Emir of the State of Kuwait, and commander-in-chief of Kuwait Military Forces from 29 January 1950 until his death.
Abdullah was the eldest son of Salim Al-Mubarak Al-Sabah. He was the minister of finance from 1939 to 1940. He took power after the death of his cousin Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah and also ruled as regent upon the death of his father until the election of Sheikh Ahmad. The anniversary of his coronation, 25 February, serves as Kuwait's national day.
Unlike his predecessors, Abdullah was more pro-Arab than pro-British. He effectively ended the British "protectorate" status of Kuwait by signing a treaty with the British on 19 June 1961. He is regarded as the founder of modern Kuwait. He introduced the Constitution of Kuwait in 1962, followed by the Parliament in 1963. He was much more committed to constitutionalism and parliamentary democracy in contrast to next rulers.
Sheikh Abdullah Al-Salim died in 1965 after suffering from a heart attack during the opening session of the National Assembly and was succeeded by his half-brother, Sabah III Al-Salim Al-Sabah. Abdullah was the father of Sheikh Saad, who ruled briefly in January 2006, Sheikh Khalid and Sheikh Ali who is a governor.
Honours and awards
- Sovereign Grand Master of the Order of National Defense
- Sovereign Grand Master of the Military Duty Order
- Companion of the Order of the Indian Empire (1938)
- Honorary Knight Commander of the Order of St Michael and St George (1952)
- Grand-Croix Order of the Legion d'Honneur (France, 1952)
- Order of the Two Rivers, 1st class (Kingdom of Iraq, 1952)
- Queen Elizabeth II Coronation Medal (1953)
- Knight of the Order of St John (1956)
- Order of the Crown, 1st Class (Empire of Iran, 1958)
- Honorary Knight Grand Cross of the Order of St Michael and St George (1959)
Abdullah Al-Salim Al-Sabah Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.