Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah facts for kids
Quick facts for kidsAhmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah
|10th Ruler of Kuwait|
|Reign||29 March 1921 – 29 January 1950|
|Predecessor||Salim Al-Mubarak Al-Sabah|
|Successor||Abdullah Al-Salim Al-Sabah|
Sheikhdom of Kuwait
|Died||29 January 1950(aged 64–65)|
|Father||Jaber II Al-Sabah|
Ahmad was the son of Jaber II Al-Sabah, who was the eighth Ruler of Kuwait between 1915 and 1917. He rose to power after the death of his uncle Salem Al-Sabah, the ninth ruler of Kuwait, in February 1921.
Ahmad was the lead cavalry commander, founder of the Military of Kuwait and the Directorate of Public Security Force. Ahmad tasked his defense cavalry and infantry to Sheikh Ali Salem Al-Mubarak Al-Sabah in the early 1920s and transferred the command of defense cavalry and infantry to Sheikh Abdullah Jaber Al-Abdullah II Al-Sabah following the Battle of Al-Regeai. He was the minister of finance from 1940 to 1950.
Ahmad was married several times. Notable children include:
- Sheikh Mohammed Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah (1909–1975); 1st Defense Minister (1962–1964) to take charge of the Defense portfolio.
- Jaber Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah (1926–2006); 13th Ruler and 3rd Emir of Kuwait (1977–2006).
- Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah (1929–2020); 15th Ruler and 5th Emir of Kuwait (2006–2020).
- Nawaf Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah (born 1937); Current Emir of Kuwait; 16th Ruler and 6th Emir of Kuwait (2020–present)
- Mishal Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah (born 1940), Current Crown Prince of Kuwait (2020–present); acting Minister (by protocol designation) and Deputy Commander of Kuwait National Guard.
- Sheikh Fahad Al-Ahmed Al-Jaber Al-Sabah (1945–1990); commando officer in the Kuwait Armed Forces, killed battling in defense of Dasman Palace.
- Sheikha Frayha Al-Ahmad (1944–2018); philanthropist.
Ahmad died in 1950 at Dasman Palace in Kuwait.
Honours and awards
- Knight Commander of the Order of the Indian Empire (KCIE) – 1930 (CIE – 1922)
- King George V Silver Jubilee Medal – 1935
- King George VI Coronation Medal – 1937
- Style of Highness – 1937
- Knight Commander of the Order of the Star of India (KCSI, 1944; CSI, 1929)
Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.