kids encyclopedia robot

Allandale, Austin, Texas facts for kids

Kids Encyclopedia Facts

Allandale, Austin, Texas is a neighborhood in North Central Austin, in the U.S. State of Texas known for its large lots, mature trees, and central location.

The Allandale neighborhood boundaries are Burnet Road and the Brentwood and Crestview neighborhoods to the east, Mopac Expressway and the Northwest Hills neighborhood to the west, 45th Street and the Rosedale neighborhood to the south, and West Anderson Lane and the North Shoal Creek neighborhood to the north. The neighborhood is bisected by Shoal Creek Blvd, and its namesake, the perennial Shoal Creek.


According to the 2013 American Community Survey, the median age for Allandale was 37.8 years, and the median household income was $57,429. 45% of the residents were married, and 54% were single. 49% were male and 51% were female. Approximately 77% of the neighborhood's households had no one under the age of 18 living there. 12% of the population was over the age of 65. Among people over age 25, approximately 52% had a bachelor's degree or higher. Just over 20% of the neighborhood's total population were Hispanic American or Latino, while 72% of Allandale's population were White, 2.4% were Asian, and 2.1% were Black or African American.


Public schools–Allandale is located in the Austin Independent School District.

  • Gullett Elementary School

Gullett Elementary on Treadwell Boulevard opened in 1956

  • Lucy Read Pre-Kindergarten Demonstration School
  • Lamar Middle School

Lamar Middle School opened on Burnet Road in 1955; its design by Kuehne, Brooks, and Barr was exhibited nationally and internationally

  • McCallum High School

McCallum, the second oldest high school in the Austin Independent School District, opened in 1953 to relieve growth in north and northwest Austin. Named after AISD's first high school superintendent, A.N. McCallum. Despite servicing the entirety of Allandale, it is not in the neighborhood itself.


Bus Transportation

Allandale has several Capital Metropolitan Transportation Authority bus lines that service the neighborhood. A few examples are 3, 5, 19, 320, 491, and Austin's second Capital MetroRapid the 803.


Burnet Rd is connected to US Highway 183 on the North, RM 2222 connects to Iinterstate Highway 35 on the East and Allandale Rd/Northland Dr connect to Mopac Expressway on the West.


Union Pacific Railroad has freight tracks that run on the West Side of the neighborhood, between the neighborhood and Mopac Expressway. These tracks consist single track and a siding rail.

National Hispanic Heritage Month on Kiddle
Notable Hispanic writers
Marie Arana
Sandra Cisneros
Sergio Troncoso
Nina Serrano
kids search engine
Allandale, Austin, Texas Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.