Andrew Carnie facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
|Born||April 19, 1969
|Alma mater||Massachusetts Institute of Technology|
|Doctoral advisor||Kenneth Hale|
Andrew Carnie (born April 19, 1969) is a Canadian professor of linguistics at the University of Arizona. He is the author or coauthor of eight books and has papers published on formal syntactic theory and on linguistic aspects of Scottish Gaelic and the Irish language. He was born in Calgary, Alberta. He is also a teacher of Balkan and international folk dance. In 2009, he was named as one of the Linguist List's Linguist of the Day. Since 2010, he has worked as the faculty director of the University of Arizona's Graduate Interdisciplinary Programs. In August 2012, he was appointed interim Dean of the graduate college.
The bulk of Carnie's research has been in the field of syntax.
- B.A. (Hons) in Linguistics and Celtic Studies: The University of St. Michael's College at the University of Toronto, 1991
- Ph.D. in Linguistics and Philosophy: Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1995
- Proceedings of the 18th West Coast Conference on Formal Linguistics, Cascadilla Press, 1999 (with Sonya Bird, Jason Haugen, and Peter Norquest)
- The Syntax of Verb Initial Languages, Oxford University Press, 2000 (with Eithne Guilfoyle)
- Papers in Honor of Ken Hale (MITELF1), MITWPL, 2000 (with Eloise Jelinek and MaryAnn Willie)
- Syntax: A Generative Introduction, Blackwell Publishers, 2002
- Formal Approaches to Function: In honor of Eloise Jelinek, John Benjamins Publishers, 2003, (with Heidi Harley and MaryAnn Willie)
- Verb First: On the Syntax of Verb Initial Languages, John Benjamins Publishers, 2005, (with Heidi Harley and Sheila Dooley)
- Syntax: A Generative Introduction: Second Edition. Wiley-Blackwell, 2006
- Constituent Structure, Oxford University Press, 2008
- Irish Nouns, Oxford University Press, 2008
- Constituent Structure, 2nd Edition, Oxford University Press, 2010
- Modern Syntax: A Course Book, Cambridge University Press, 2011.
- Formal Approaches to Celtic Linguistics. Cambridge Scholars Press, 2011
- Syntax: A Generative Introduction: Third Edition. Wiley-Blackwell, 2013
- The Routledge Handbook of Syntax (editor), Routledge, 2014
Andrew Carnie Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.