Arrondissements of the Haute-Garonne department facts for kids
There are 3 arrondissements in the Haute-Garonne department. The French departments, and in other countries, are divided into arrondissements, which may be translated into English as districts (in some cases, as boroughs). The capital of an arrondissement is called a subprefecture.
If the prefecture (capital) of the department is in an arrondissement, that prefecture is the capital of the arrondissement, acting both as a prefecture and as a subprefecture.
The arrondissements of Haute-Garonne are:
Since its creation, the Haute-Garonne department has had some changes:
- 1790 : creation of the department with eight districts: Toulouse, Rieux, Villefranche-de-Lauragais, Castelsarrasin, Muret, Saint-Gaudens, Revel, Grenadel
- 1800 : creation of the arrondissements: Toulouse, Castelsarrasin, Muret, Saint-Gaudens, Villefranche
- 1803 : the arrondissement of Muret is eliminated
- 1806 : restoration of the arrondissement of Muret
- 1808 : the arrondissement of Castelsarrasin is eliminated and became part of the new department of Tarn-et-Garonne
- 1926 : the arrondissements of Muret and Villefranche are eliminated
- 1942 : restoration of the arrondissement of Muret
Arrondissements of the Haute-Garonne department Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.