Barton Hill, Bristol facts for kids
- See also: Bristol Barton Hill TMD
Quick facts for kidsBarton Hill
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Police||Avon and Somerset|
|EU Parliament||South West England|
It includes residential, retail and industrial premises and is crossed by major roads, railway tracks and the feeder canal leading to Bristol Harbour.
The solid geology of Barton Hill is Triassic Redcliffe Sandstone.
Barton was a manor just outside Bristol mentioned in the Domesday Book as Bertune apud Bristov, and later in 1220 as Berton Bristoll. In Saxon and early Norman times the manor was held by the king, and was known as Barton Regis. The manor gave its name to Barton Regis Hundred, the hundred. Sloping ground at the southern end of the hundred, leading down to St Philip's Marsh, became known as Barton Hill.
The Great Western Cotton Factory on Great Western Lane was designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel in the early 19th century. Great Western Cotton factory opened in 1838 and closed in 1925. From a plan of 1839 the sheds are seen to have contained up to 1600 looms. The main spinning mill was demolished in 1968.
- Art and design studio in the old Cotton Mill on Great Western Lane. The Cotton Mill has been converted into work space for artists, designers and makers. Also providing workshops for ceramics, printmaking and woodwork. The Studio called 'In Bristol' started in 2006 by four artists and makers from University of Plymouth.
- Barton Hill Artists are a free collective of locally based artists who specialise in community art activism and community based public instillation. Their work includes a 90-foot-long (27 m) mosaic on the Ducie Road railway bridge in the area, and a mural in Gaunts Ham Park, in nearby Lawrence Hill, Bristol.
- The Twisted Pixie, who produces psychedelic art for part of Bristol's psytrance scene, also resides in Barton Hill.
- Travelling Light is a children's theatre company based at Barton Hill Settlement.
- The Barton Hill Settlement is a community resource for people in Barton Hill. Among other services it offers adult education classes on a variety of subjects, and runs a creche.
Barton Hill, Bristol Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.