Cardiff-by-the-Sea, Encinitas, California facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Beach community of Encinitas
Sunset, Cardiff Beach
|Elevation||79 ft (24 m)|
|Time zone||UTC-8 (PST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-7 (PDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1656451|
Cardiff-by-the-Sea, usually referred to as Cardiff, is a beach community in the incorporated city of Encinitas in San Diego County, California. The Pacific Ocean is to the west of Cardiff-by-the-Sea, the rest of incorporated Encinitas is to the east and north, and a beach and lagoon to the south. With a population of under 12,000, Cardiff-by-the-Sea operates as part of the city of Encinitas, but unlike the other communities that comprise Encinitas, has its own ZIP code (92007). Cardiff is home to a few well-known surf spots, such as Swami's and Cardiff Reef.
Cardiff School District
Cardiff has a school district consisting of two schools:
Cardiff Reef ("The Reef") is a popular surf spot in Cardiff that produces waves both professional and novice surfers enjoy year round. Surfing at The Reef has progressed from just a few surfers in the 1950s to become one of the most popular surfing spots in San Diego County. Cardiff Reef and nearby surf spot, Pipes, are famous for their smooth and consistent wave shape.
When the tide is low, a flat rock reef is revealed that extends 50 yards from shore. Exploring these tide pools is a popular activity for visitors of Cardiff.
According to the 2010 Census, Cardiff-by-the-Sea is 72% white, 20% Hispanic, 3% Asian, 1% African-American and 4% Other
- Mark Allen, former professional triathlete
- Scott Eastwood, actor
- Lili Simmons, actress
- Jon Foreman, singer/guitarist for Switchfoot
- Lyn-Z Adams Hawkins, professional skateboarder
- Chalmers Johnson, historian and author of the Blowback trilogy
- Jonathan Jones, singer for the bands Waking Ashland and We Shot the Moon
- Frances Lee, silent film actress (deceased 2000)
- Rob Machado, professional surfer
- Kirk McCaskill, retired major league baseball pitcher
- Emily Ratajkowski, actress
- Lukas Gage, actor
- Marion Ross, actress
- Darren Hardy, publisher of Success Magazine
- Bob Haro, former freestyle BMX rider turned artist and business executive. He is the founder of Haro Bikes and was one of the most important early innovators of BMX freestyle.
- John Humphreys, doubles badminton champion
- Guenter Seidel, 3 time Olympic Bronze Medalist Dressage
- Andrew Raquel Financial Analyst/BJJ Whitebelt/Average-to-occSlightly-above-Average Surfer (depending on the day).
In Spanish: Cardiff-by-the-Sea (California) para niños
Cardiff-by-the-Sea, Encinitas, California Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.