Chlorine trifluoride facts for kids
Chlorine trifluoride is a colorless gas, but it can be compressed to a light yellow liquid. Chlorine trifluoride is normally sold compressed. It is an interhalogen, and is very reactive. It can burn plastics, sand, skin, hydrogen sulfide, metals, phosphorus, and sulfur. Since it is a much stronger oxidizing agent than oxygen, it can burn things that normally can't burn, like concrete or sand. It reacts with water very violently to make hydrofluoric acid and hydrochloric acid. It can ignite glass after being in it for a while.
Chlorine trifluoride is made by reacting chlorine with fluorine. This makes other chlorine fluorides which have to be taken out.
Chlorine trifluoride is used to make uranium hexafluoride by reacting it with uranium metal. It was looked at as a rocket propellant. It was also looked at as a poison gas. It is too difficult to make and store, though. Chlorine trifluoride can be used to clean areas where semiconductors are made.
Chlorine trifluoride is extremely toxic and dangerous. It is one of the most dangerous chemicals there is. It can catch many things on fire, including things that are usually non-flammable, such as asbestos, concrete, and glass. The fires are almost impossible to put out. It reacts with most things.
Chlorine trifluoride Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.