City of Ghosts (TV series) facts for kids
Quick facts for kidsCity of Ghosts
|Created by||Elizabeth Ito|
|Directed by||Luis Grane (supervising)|
|Country of origin||
|No. of episodes||6|
|Running time||18–20 minutes|
|Picture format||HDTV 1080p|
|Original release||March 5, 2021– present|
City of Ghosts is a hybrid animated/mockumentary streaming television series developed by Elizabeth Ito for Netflix. Co-produced by TeamTO and Netflix Animation, the series premiered on March 5, 2021.
A group of kids, in this hybrid animated mockumentary series, discover stories around Los Angeles by directly communicating with ghosts who inhabit the city.
- Zelda (voiced by August Nuñez), a young child and lead detective of the Ghost Club.
- Thomas (voiced by Blue Chapman), a 7-year-old non-binary child who uses they/them pronouns, and member of the Ghost Club. Thomas mentions their pronouns briefly at the beginning of the second episode.
- Eva (voiced by Kirikou S'hai Muldrow), a 5-year-old child and member of the Ghost Club.
- Peter (voiced by Michael Ren), a 6-year-old child and member of the Ghost Club with Eva, Zelda, and Thomas.
- Chef Jo (voiced by Isa Fabro), a Filipina chef who owns a cafe in Boyle Heights.
- Mariko (voiced by Kuniko Yagi), friend of Chief Jo who contacts Zelda and asks them for help in tracking down a ghost in the cafe.
- Jordan (voiced by Angel Chipagua) is Zelda's brother and operates a hand-held camera which records the Ghost Club's activities.
- Janet (voiced by Judy Hayashi), a ghost living in Jo's cafe.
- Sam (voiced by Teagan Meza), an eight-year-old skateboarder who is spending time with a ghost.
- Sonya (voiced by Tomeicko Hawkins), owns a vegan cafe in Leimert Park.
- Jasper (voiced by Honor Calderon), a child who asks the Ghost Club for help and reconnects to his Tongva roots.
- Zelda's Mom (voiced by Sandra Equihua) is the mother of Zelda.
- Nancy Sekizawa (voiced by herself) is a former punk rocker and mother of Zen.
- Yulissa (voiced by Yulissa Maqueos) is a teacher of Oaxacan music, looking for her friend Chepe who communicates with people by whistling.
- Colton (voiced by Gage Fensler)
- Josh "Bagel" Klassman (voiced by himself), a professional skater, surfer, and photographer.
- Aawkut (voiced by L. Frank Manrique) is a ghost in a form of a crow who appears in the episode "Tovaangar".
- Walter (voiced by Adam Muto)
- Lena (voiced by Gala Parras-Kim)
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original release date|
|1||"The Sort of Japanese Restaurant"||Elizabeth Ito||Elizabeth Ito, Joanne Shen, Seo Kim, Ako Castuera and Jesse Flint||March 5, 2021|
|In Boyle Heights, a restaurant has a phantom come during the night, annoying the shop's owner. The Ghost Club comes to the scene to find out what is really going on.|
|2||"Venice"||Ako Castuera||Elizabeth Ito, Joanne Shen and Ako Castuera||March 5, 2021|
|In Venice Beach, the Ghost Club investigates the disappearance of a skater kid and talks with two spirits who were former skaters.|
|3||"Leimert Park"||Bob Logan||Elizabeth Ito, Joanne Shen and Bob Logan||March 5, 2021|
|The Ghost Club is called to investigate after a cafre experiences drumming which continues through the night.|
|4||"Tovaangar"||Ako Castuera||Elizabeth Ito, Ako Castuera and Joanne Shen||March 5, 2021|
|Jasper contacts the Ghost Club and they help him connect with his long-lost ancestors.|
|5||"Bob & Nancy"||Elizabeth Ito and Pendleton Ward||Elizabeth Ito, Joanne Shen and Pendleton Ward||March 5, 2021|
|Assisting a marionette theater, the Ghost Club is able to stop a daughter and her mother (a ghost) from fighting each other.|
|6||"Koreatown"||Luis Grane, Elizabeth Ito and Ako Castuera||Elizabeth Ito, Joanne Shen, Luis Grane and Ako Castuera||March 5, 2021|
|A music teacher comes to the Ghost Club, asking for help in finding her missing friend, which is a ghost.|
The series was announced by Netflix in May 2019, with Adventure Time writer Elizabeth Ito as showrunner.
The show's backgrounds come from photographs taken by Kwasi Boyd-Bouldin, then painted over at the Los Angeles studio of Chromosphere Studio and the character animation is by the French company, TeamTO. The animation supervisor of TeamTo, Mariah Luna, said that they talked with Ito and Luis Grane, supervising director, of the show, informing their animation. The production manager, Jaimy Nikijuluw, adding that they were often in contact with Ito and Grane until the end of production of each episode. Guillaume Hellouin, president/co-founder of TeamTO said that only a small team worked on the show, one of the smallest they've "ever worked with" while Nikijuluw added they had weekly calls with those at Netflix and Chromosphere Studio.
The series was released on March 5, 2021 on Netflix. A trailer was released on February 4. Selections from the series will be presented at the San Francisco International Film Festival's Schools at the Festival program in April 2021.
City of Ghosts (TV series) Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.