Conifer, Colorado facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Sign along Highway 285
|• Type||Unincorporated community|
|Elevation||8,277 ft (2,523 m)|
|Time zone||UTC-7 (MST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-6 (MDT)|
|Area code(s)||303 and 720|
|GNIS feature ID||0204717|
A post office called Conifer was established in 1894. Some say the community was named after George Conifer, the proprietor of a local tavern, while others believe conifer trees near the original town site caused the name to be selected.
Conifer is located at Berrian Mountain about 1 mile north of Conifer occurred on November 1, 1981, at 8:03 p.m. MST.(39.5210995,-105.3052708). A magnitude 3.1 tremor centered on
- The Clifton House Inn, Jefferson County Register of Historic Places
- Conifer Junction School, National Register of Historic Places
- The Conley Coffee Shop, Jefferson County Register of Historic Places
- The Lubin-Blakeslee Place at Meyer Ranch, Conifer, Jefferson County Register of Historic Places
- Midway House at Meyers Ranch, built 1889, National Register of Historic Places 5JF.303
- Original Elk Creek Fire House, Jefferson County Register of Historic Places
- Pleasant Park School, built 1894, Colorado Register of Historic Places 5JF.972
- Yellow Barn at Bradford Junction, built 1918, Jefferson County Register of Historic Places
- Coney Island Hot Dog Stand for many years it was in Aspen Park area of Conifer, but was moved to the nearby community of Bailey.
- Staunton State Park - 3,908-acre state park located 6 miles west of Conifer
Students living within Jefferson County attend Jefferson County schools. Those neighborhood schools are Elk Creek Elementary School, West Jefferson Elementary School, Marshdale Elementary School, West Jefferson Middle School, and Conifer High School. In 2011, Conifer High School was ranked 434 in the top 500 schools in the nation by Newsweek.
Conifer residents are served by the Elk Creek Fire Protection District, a mixed career/volunteer fire department with approximately 60 active duty firefighters.
- Amy Bruckner, American actress.
- Trey Parker, South Park co-creator grew up in the area
- Blaine Sumner, World Record holder powerlifter.
Conifer, Colorado Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.