Crown Prince Sado facts for kids
Quick facts for kidsYi Seon
|Regent of Joseon|
|Tenure||11 March 1749 – 4 July 1762|
|Predecessor||Crown Prince Yi Geum|
|Successor||Grand Heir Yi San|
|Monarch||Yeongjo of Joseon|
|Crown Prince of Joseon|
|Tenure||25 April 1736 – 4 July 1762|
|Investiture||Injeongjeon Hall, Changdeok Palace, Hanseong, Kingdom of Joseon|
|Predecessor||Crown Prince Yi Haeng|
|Successor||Crown Prince Yi Sun|
|Born||13 February 1735
Jibbokheon Hall, Changgyeong Palace, Hanseong, Kingdom of Joseon
|Died||12 July 1762
Munjeongjeon Hall, Changgyeong Palace, Hanseong, Kingdom of Joseon
|Burial||Yungneung Tombs, Yunggeonneung Cluster, Hwaseong, Gyeonggi Province, South Korea|
|Dynasty||House of Yi|
Crown Prince Sado (Hangul: 사도세자, Hanja: 思悼 世子; 13 February 1735 – 12 July 1762), personal name Yi Seon (Hangul: 이선, Hanja: 李愃), was the second son of King Yeongjo of Joseon. His biological mother was Royal Noble Consort Yeong of the Jeonui Yi clan. Due to the prior death of Sado's older half-brother, Crown Prince Hyojang, the new prince was the probable future monarch. However, at the age of 27, he died, most likely of dehydration and possibly of starvation after being confined in a rice chest on the orders of his father in the heat of summer.
Crown Prince Sado was buried on Mt. BaebongSan in Yangju. His body was moved by his son, King Jeongjo, to its current location in 1789, then called Hyeonnyungwon near Suwon, 30 kilometers south of Seoul. Five years later the Hwaseong Fortress was built by King Jeongjo, specifically to memorialize and honor his father's tomb (the construction lasted 1794-1796, while the official reception was 1795). Lady Hyegyeong, his wife, died and was buried with her husband in 1816.
Prince Sado and Lady Hyegyeong were posthumously elevated in status and given the titles Emperor Yangjo and Empress Heonyeong in 1899 during the reign of Emperor Gwangmu (Gojong). Their tomb and the adjacent tomb of their son, King Jeongjo, and his wife, Queen Hyoui, were upgraded accordingly and renamed Yungneung.
- Father: King Yeongjo of Joseon (조선 영조) (31 October 1694 – 22 April 1776)
- Grandfather: King Sukjong of Joseon (조선 숙종) (7 October 1661 – 12 July 1720)
- Biological grandmother: Royal Noble Consort Suk of the Haeju Choe clan (숙빈 최씨) (17 December 1670 – 9 April 1718)
- Adoptive grandmother: Queen Inwon the Gyeongju Kim clan (인원왕후 김씨) (3 November 1687 – 13 May 1757)
- Biological mother: Royal Noble Consort Yeong of the Jeonui Yi clan (영빈 이씨) (15 August 1696 – 23 August 1764)
- Grandfather: Yi Yu-beon (이유번)
- Grandmother: Lady Kim of the Hanyang Kim clan (한양 김씨)
- Adoptive mother: Queen Jeongseong of the Daegu Seo clan (정성왕후 서씨) (12 January 1693 – 3 April 1757)
|Ancestors of Crown Prince Sado|
Images for kids
Crown Prince Sado Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.