Devi Shetty facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Devi Prasad Shetty
|Education||Kasturba Medical College (MBBS, M.S.)
Royal college of Surgeons (FRCS)
|Known for||Founder & Chairman, Narayana Health|
|Awards||Padma Bhushan (2012)
Schwab Foundation's (2005)
Dr. B. C. Roy Award (2003)
Rajyotsava award (2002)
Karnataka Ratna (2001)
Devi Prasad Shetty, MS, FRCS, (born 8 May 1953) is an Indian cardiac surgeon. He is also entrepreneur. He is the chairman and founder of Narayana Health, a chain of 21 medical centers in India. He has performed more than 15,000 heart operations. In 2004 he was awarded the Padma Shri, the fourth highest civilian award, followed by the Padma Bhushan in 2012, the third highest civilian award by the Government of India for his contribution to the field of affordable healthcare.
Yeshasvini is a low-cost health insurance scheme, designed by Shetty and the Government of Karnataka for the poor farmers of the state, with 4 million people currently covered.
Awards and recognition
- Padma Bhushan award for Medicine in 2012
- Karnataka Ratna award in 2001
- Entrepreneur of the Year at ET awards in 2012
- Won the 2011 The Economist Innovation Awards for the Business process field.
- Honorary Degree, University of Minnesota in 2011
- Honorary Degree, Indian Institute of Technology Madras in 2014
- Schwab Foundation's award in 2005
- Padma Shri award for Medicine in 2004
- Dr. B C Roy award in 2003
- Sir M. Visvesvaraya Memorial Award in 2003
- Ernst & Young – Entrepreneur Of The Year – Life Sciences in 2012
- Ernst & Young – Entrepreneur of the Year – Start-up in 2003
- Rajyotsava award in 2002
- Indian of the year in public sector choose by CNN-IBN for 2012
Shetty stars in the fourth (and last) episode of Netflix's docuseries The Surgeon's Cut, which was released globally on 9 December 2020. The episode follows Shetty's treatment of patients, mostly children and babies, prioritizing low-cost and affordable healthcare, while performing with his team more than thirty surgeries a day.
Devi Shetty Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.