Johnsburg, Illinois facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Location of Johnsburg in McHenry County, Illinois.
Location of Illinois in the United States
|• Total||7.84 sq mi (20.32 km2)|
|• Land||7.25 sq mi (18.78 km2)|
|• Water||0.60 sq mi (1.54 km2)|
|• Density||876.67/sq mi (338.47/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|Wikimedia Commons||Johnsburg, Illinois|
The area was settled in the 1840s by immigrants from the Eifel region of Germany, predominantly the Mayen-Koblenz district (Kreis), who named the settlement after their church. In 1956, a small subdivision on shore of the Fox River incorporated as the Village of Sunnyside. Sunnyside then annexed the surrounding land in 1992 and renamed it Johnsburg.
Johnsburg is located at(42.385796, -88.235942).
According to the 2010 census, Johnsburg has a total area of 7.674 square miles (19.88 km2), of which 7.08 square miles (18.34 km2) (or 92.26%) is land and 0.594 square miles (1.54 km2) (or 7.74%) is water. Johnsburg lies within the watershed of the Fox river.
- Richmond Road
- Ringwood Road
- McCullom Lake Road
- Johnsburg Road
- Spring Grove Road
- Chapel Hill Road
- Bay Road
- Riverside Drive
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 5,391 people, 1,760 households, and 1,501 families residing in the village. The population density was 973.7 people per square mile (375.7/km2). There were 1,875 housing units at an average density of 338.6 per square mile (130.7/km2). The racial makeup of the village was 98.83% White, 0.13% African American, 0.06% Native American, 0.19% Asian, 0.17% from other races, and 0.63% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.52% of the population.
There were 1,760 households, out of which 44.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 73.9% were married couples living together, 7.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 14.7% were non-families. 11.8% of all households were made up of individuals, and 3.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.06 and the average family size was 3.32.
In the village, the population was spread out, with 30.6% under the age of 18, 7.0% from 18 to 24, 28.3% from 25 to 44, 26.4% from 45 to 64, and 7.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females, there were 102.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 99.4 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $69,864, and the median income for a family was $73,491. Males had a median income of $51,832 versus $30,893 for females. The per capita income for the village was $27,582. About 1.1% of families and 1.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 2.1% of those under age 18 and none of those age 65 or over.
- Kathleen Brennan, musician, songwriter, record producer, and artist.
- C. J. Fiedorowicz, retired tight end for the Houston Texans of the NFL. Graduated from Johnsburg High School. He went to college at the University of Iowa.
- Clay Guida ("The Carpenter,"), mixed martial artist currently competing in the UFC, lived in Johnsburg
- Chuck Hiller, second baseman (first National League player to hit a grand slam homer in World Series History - 1962), coach, and manager with the San Francisco Giants, New York Mets, Philadelphia Phillies, Pittsburgh Pirates
- Sam Saboura, former host and stylist of ABC's Extreme Makeover and current host of TLC's Something Borrowed, Something New, moved to Johnsburg as a teen and graduated from Johnsburg High School
Johnsburg, Illinois Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.