Mantua Township, Portage County, Ohio facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Historic Snow Home, built in 1815
Location within Portage County
|• Total||26.6 sq mi (68.8 km2)|
|• Land||26.5 sq mi (68.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||1,175 ft (358 m)|
|• Density||176.1/sq mi (68.0/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|Area code(s)||330, 234|
|GNIS feature ID||1086831|
Name and history
It is the only Mantua Township statewide.
Located in the northern part of the county, it borders the following townships and cities:
- Auburn Township, Geauga County - north
- Troy Township, Geauga County - northeast corner
- Hiram Township - east
- Freedom Township - southeast corner
- Shalersville Township - south
- Streetsboro - southwest corner
- Aurora - west
- Bainbridge Township, Geauga County - northwest corner
The village of Mantua, which became independent of the township in 1993, is located in what was previously southern Mantua Township and borders the township on three sides.
Formed from the Connecticut Western Reserve, Mantua Township covers an area of 26 sq mi (67 km2).
- Eliza Roxcy Snow Smith, an early Latter Day Saint leader, and a plural wife of both Joseph Smith and Brigham Young
- Lorenzo Snow, a former president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The community of Mantua, Utah, in Utah's Box Elder County, was named in honor of Snow and his hometown.
Mantua Township, Portage County, Ohio Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.