Metonymy is a term for a figure of speech. Metonymy a thing or concept is indirectly named. It is not called by its own name, but by the name of something which is closely related or implicit in the context. For example,
- Brussels as a metonym for the European Union
- Casa Rosada ("Pink House") as a metonym for the President of Argentina
- Élysée Palace as a metonym for the President of France
- Hollywood as a metonym for US cinema
- Westminster as a metonym for the Parliament of the United Kingdom
- White House used as a metonym for the President of the United States
Metonymy Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.