Momence, Illinois facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Location of Momence in Illinois
Location of Illinois in the United States
|• Total||1.67 sq mi (4.32 km2)|
|• Land||1.57 sq mi (4.06 km2)|
|• Water||0.10 sq mi (0.25 km2)|
|Elevation||620 ft (190 m)|
|• Density||1,986.62/sq mi (767.07/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|Wikimedia Commons||Momence, Illinois|
According to the 2010 census, Momence has a total area of 1.627 square miles (4.21 km2), of which 1.53 square miles (3.96 km2) (or 94.04%) is land and 0.097 square miles (0.25 km2) (or 5.96%) is water.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,171 people, 1,159 households, and 784 families residing in the city. The population density was 2,316.3 people per square mile (893.7/km2). There were 1,223 housing units at an average density of 893.3 per square mile (344.7/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 89.18% White, 4.32% African American, 0.19% Native American, 0.09% Asian, 4.95% from other races, and 1.26% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 11.38% of the population.
There were 1,159 households, out of which 32.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 51.3% were married couples living together, 11.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.3% were non-families. 27.6% of all households were made up of individuals, and 14.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.59 and the average family size was 3.13.
In the city, the population was spread out, with 25.6% under the age of 18, 8.4% from 18 to 24, 27.3% from 25 to 44, 21.0% from 45 to 64, and 17.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females, there were 92.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 88.7 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $37,898, and the median income for a family was $45,379. Males had a median income of $31,741 versus $23,711 for females. The per capita income for the city was $17,836. About 5.8% of families and 9.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 12.1% of those under age 18 and 6.4% of those age 65 or over.
- Downtown Momence served as a setting for scenes in the 2002 movie, Road to Perdition.
- Jeremy Michael Boorda, U.S. Navy Admiral and first American sailor to have risen through the enlisted ranks to become the Chief of Naval Operations. He was raised in Momence.
- Don Bacon, Republican member of the United States House of Representatives representing Nebraska's 2nd congressional district. He was raised in Momence.
- Eddie Condon, jazz musician. He was raised in Momence until moving to Chicago Heights, Illinois.
- William Crook (1925-1997), preacher turned politician, national director of the Volunteers in Service to America (VISTA) program and US Ambassador to Australia
- Orbert Davis, jazz trumpeter and bandleader. He was raised in Momence.
- Janet Hubert, actress. She appeared in the original Broadway cast of Cats and played Vivian Banks in The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air during the first three seasons.
- Ted Petersen, offensive lineman for the Pittsburgh Steelers (1977–1983; 1987), Cleveland Browns (1984) and Indianapolis Colts (1984).
- Malcolm Ross, United States Naval Reserve captain, atmospheric scientist, and balloonist. He was born in Momence, but raised in West Lafayette, Indiana.
- John D. Zeglis, president of AT&T and the Chairman and C.E.O. of AT&T Wireless.
Momence, Illinois Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.