Mount Pleasant, Texas facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Mount Pleasant, Texas
The Titus County Courthouse in Mount Pleasant
Location of Mount Pleasant, Texas
|• Total||12.7 sq mi (33.0 km2)|
|• Land||12.5 sq mi (32.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.5 km2)|
|Elevation||404 ft (123 m)|
|• Density||1,226/sq mi (471.6/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|Area code(s)||903, 430|
|GNIS feature ID||1342094|
|Website||City of Mount Pleasant, Texas|
Mount Pleasant was founded May 11, 1848, to serve as county seat for Titus County, which was created by a legislative act on May 11, 1846. Until after the Civil War, Titus County also included the territory of present-day Franklin and Morris counties. High waters along the creeks and the Sulphur River often halted travel in the early years.
In the 21st century, Titus County comprises the Mount Pleasant Micropolitan Statistical Area, named for the county seat.
Mount Pleasant is located at(33.157891, −94.970084).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 12.7 square miles (33.0 km²), of which, 12.5 square miles (32.5 km²) of it is land and 0.2 square miles (0.5 km2) is covered by water.
Mount Pleasant is considered to be part of a humid subtropical climate.
As of the census of 2000, 13,935 people, 4,558 households, and 3,208 families resided in the city. The population density was 1,112.0 people per square mile (429.4/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 56.70% White, 16.00% African American, 0.55% Native American, 0.84% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 23.57% from other races, and 2.33% from two or more races. Hispanics or Latinos of any race were 40.65% of the population.
In the city, the population was distributed as 31.2% under the age of 18, 10.9% from 18 to 24, 28.1% from 25 to 44, 16.2% from 45 to 64, and 13.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 20 years. For every 100 females, there were 94.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.6 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $28,805, and for a family was $32,331. Males had a median income of $22,629 versus $17,080 for females. The per capita income for the city was $14,190. About 20.3% of families and 22.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 30.7% of those under age 18 and 16.1% of those age 65 or over.
Mount Pleasant, Texas has grown since the 2000 Census; as of 2010, Mount Pleasant had a population of 15,564.
Arts and culture
- Titus County Courthouse – located at the Downtown Square, the Courthouse is an important historical building. The courthouse has burned down three times since 1850. The current building was constructed in 1895; it suffered damage in a 1960s fire, in which all county records were destroyed.
- Downtown Square is bordered by several locally owned businesses.
- Mount Pleasant is the site of Wal-Mart's first store in Texas.
- Radar (2006–08), the world's tallest living horse, lived in Mount Pleasant. (In 2005 Goliath was recorded as the world's tallest living horse by Guinness Book of World Records).
- Mount Pleasant is a nationally recognized Texas Main Street City under the program of the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
- One of the largest Dr. Pepper murals in the United States is located on the side of a building that once housed a Dr. Pepper bottler.
Images for kids
Mount Pleasant, Texas Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.