Nine Sisters facts for kids
The peaks were created more than 20 million years ago during the Miocene Epoch of the Neogene Period, as volcanic plugs of magma which welled up and solidified inside softer rock which has since eroded away.
Two of the plugs are in Morro Bay State Park. The highest is Bishop Peak at 1,559 feet (475 m).
The peaks in order from Morro Bay to San Luis Obispo, including their height.
- Morro Rock 576 feet (176 m)
- Black Hill 665 feet (203 m)
- Cerro Cabrillo 911 feet (278 m)
- Hollister Peak 1,404 feet (428 m)
- Cerro Romauldo 1,306 feet (398 m)
- Chumash Peak 1,257 feet (383 m)
- Bishop Peak 1,559 feet (475 m)
- Cerro San Luis 1,292 feet (394 m)
- Islay Hill 775 feet (236 m)
The Nine Sisters, being less accessible to human intrusions, support a wide variety of Coastal sage scrub and California oak woodlands flora, and of birds and other fauna.
Nine Sisters Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.