Plate boundary facts for kids
- Further information: Plate tectonics
The major types of plate boundaries are:
- Spreading boundaries. Mid-Atlantic Ridge and Africa's Great Rift Valley are examples. Rift valleys, mountains (orogeny), volcanoes.
- Collision boundaries. These collide, forming a subduction zone (Wast coast of the Americas) or a continental collision (India with Asia). Mountains (orogeny), valleys, volcanoes.
- Transform or fault boundaries. Here plates gring past each other along transform faults. Earthquakes, volcanoes,
- Conservative boundaries: little or no relative motion
All boundaries except the conservative ones are sites of major geological activity. We have plate boudaries on the earth.
Images for kids
Plate boundary Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.