Port Hawkesbury facts for kids
Gaelic: Baile a' Chlamhain / An Gut
|Nickname(s): Cape Breton's Front Porch|
|Incorporated||January 22, 1889|
|• Total||8.10 km2 (3.13 sq mi)|
|Highest elevation||54 m (177 ft)|
|Lowest elevation||0 m (0 ft)|
|• Density||396.6/km2 (1,027/sq mi)|
|Time zone||AST (UTC-4)|
|• Summer (DST)||ADT (UTC-3)|
Port Hawkesbury (Scottish Gaelic: Baile a' Chlamhain) is a town located on the southwestern end of Cape Breton Island, on the north shore of the Strait of Canso, in the Canadian province of Nova Scotia.
- Lynn Coady is an author. Her best selling novels include Strange Heaven, Play the Monster Blind, Saints of Big Harbour, the Giller Prize nominated Antagonist (2011) and the Giller Prize Winning Hellgoing (2013).
- Mark Day, a film and television actor now living in Toronto and Los Angeles.
- Henry Embree, noted 19th-century boatbuilder
- Aaron Johnson, an NHL draft pick now playing with the AHL's Stockton Heat.
- Billy Joe MacLean, former mayor, provincial cabinet minister
- Henry Nicholas Paint (1830–1921), member of Parliament for Richmond County, merchant and land owner. His family (settling from Guernsey) received land grants at Belle Vue on the Strait of Canso in 1817 and at Point Tupper in 1863, and did much to develop the local communities in the area.
Images for kids
Port Hawkesbury Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.