Robert, Louisiana facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
|Elevation||8 ft (2 m)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||538632|
Robert is an unincorporated community in Tangipahoa Parish, Louisiana, United States. It lies east of Hammond, at the intersection of US 190 and LA 445, from which it has a signed exit on Interstate 12. Robert is the largest settlement in Tangipahoa Parish's rural 8th ward.
The community, which has 20 streets and one stoplight, was thrust into the international spotlight when the Deepwater Horizon Unified Command was established at the Shell Robert Training and Conference Center to coordinate response to the Deepwater Horizon oil spill in 2010.
During World War II a 15,216-acre (61.58 km2) tract northeast of Robert served as the Hammond Bombing and Gunnery Range. As late as 2009 the 300 property owners in the tract were still under legal obligation to disclose the potential for unexploded ordnance. "[R]esidents cannot do as they wish with their properties . . . [but] have a moral obligation to reveal that it was a bombing range during a sale" according to Bruce Harrell CPA.
Robert is home to diverse employers:
- Regina Coeli Child Development Center oversees Head Start programs in six of Louisiana's civil parishes.
- Walmart has a large distribution center east of Robert on the road (US 190) to Goodbee, Louisiana.
- Yogi Bear Jellystone Park is a resort encampment near the Robert (LA 445) interchange on Interstate 12.
- Florida Parishes Juvenile Detention Center, a rehabilitation institution for wayward youths, is physically located within Tangipahoa Parish along its boundary with Saint Tammany Parish east of Robert.
- Louisiana Renaissance Festival attracts thousands of tourists who pass through Robert annually in November en route to the festival grounds on LA 1064 (Tangipahoa River Road).
- Louisiana State University's Agricultural Experiment Station occupies 140 acres (0.57 km2) along LA 1067 (Old Covington Highway) near the west bank of the Tangipahoa River across from Robert.
Robert, Louisiana Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.