St Peter's Church, Harborne facts for kids
Quick facts for kidsSt. Peter's Church, Harborne
|Denomination||Church of England|
|Organist/Director of music||David Friel|
There has been a church on the site since Saxon times and St Chad is even thought to have preached there. The base of an early preaching cross was found in the mid-1980s during work at the back of the church. The parish formerly covered what is now Smethwick (North Harborne), all of current Harborne and even parts of Quinton (Ridgeacre).
The present building is Victorian, dating from the 1860s by architect Yeoville Thomason. Elihu Burritt, who was living in Harborne at the time was on the committee that oversaw the restoration. The tower is far older and is all that remains of the medieval church. It is believed to date from the 14th century. The sanctuary was rebuilt during 1974/5 after a fire. It is a Grade II listed building.
- Bob Brettle, boxer
- The artist David Cox - there is also a sanctuary memorial window to him.
- Watercolour artist Thomas Baker is buried next to David Cox.
- Anne Chamberlain, wife of Neville Chamberlain, Prime Minister.
- Sir Charles Haughton Rafter KBE KPM , Chief Constable of Birmingham City Police between 1899 and 1935.
- George Edward Hunt, jeweller
List of Vicars
Curate = W. Harding (Nov 1826 to Mar 1827)
- Rev Thomas Smith 1858-?
- The Ven. Ralph Creed Meredith 1919-1920
- Canon Richardson
- Ven. Sidney Harvie-Clarke, Archdeacon of Birmingham
- Michael Counsell 1976 - 1989
- C.J.Evans (Fr.Jo) 1992- 2008
- C.S.Ralph 2010-2013
- Graeme Richardson 2014 - September 2019
The bells were purchased from the church of Bishop Ryder in Deritend and installed by John Taylor & Co. The ring of eight was dedicated on 2 March 1963. The tenor bell weighs nearly 13 cwt and the ring is in F#.
The organ dates from 1975, replacing a previous instrument destroyed in a fire. The organ specification was designed by George Miles, the church organist, and can be found on the National Pipe Organ Register.
List of organists
- Roland Mellor Winn 1874 - 1904
- Franklyn Mountford 1904 - 1927 (formerly organist at St James’ Church, Handsworth and St. John's Church, Truro)
- W.E. Robinson
- George Miles 1946 - 1988
- Ian Ledsham 1993 - 2000
- Victoria Gravenor 2001 - 2004
- David Friel 2005–present
St Peter's Church, Harborne Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.