The Rock, New South Wales facts for kids
Quick facts for kidsThe Rock
New South Wales
View across the rail lines and silos to The Rock Hill
|Population||1,236 (2016 census)|
|Elevation||236 m (774 ft)|
|Location||32 km (20 mi) from Wagga Wagga|
|State electorate(s)||Wagga Wagga|
The Rock is a town with a population of 1,236, in the Riverina region of southern New South Wales, Australia, in Lockhart Shire. It is 32 kilometres (20 mi) south-west of Wagga Wagga on the Olympic Highway.
The town is named after the large rocky hill overlooking the town, now called The Rock Hill but called Yerong in the local indigenous language. The reserve that includes The Rock Hill is an attraction in the area for bush-walking, rock-climbing, and observation of wildlife. It is also an Aboriginal sacred site, called Kengal.
The Rock Post Office opened on 1 September 1890.
It is a railway junction town, being the junction point of the Boree Creek line from the Main South line. The Rock railway station is served by the twice daily NSW TrainLink XPT service to Melbourne and Sydney.
Sport and Recreation
The Rock Football Club was an Australian Rules Football club that was established in 1900 after a meeting at the King's Own Hotel. The club has played in the following football competitions -
- 1900: Wagga United Football Association.
- 1901: McLaurin Football Competition: Runners Up
- 1902 - 09: Club active, playing friendly matches against local clubs and towns, but no evidence of playing in an official competition.
- 1910 - 12: The Rock Football Association:
- 1913: Wagga United Football Association: Runners Up: 1913
- 1914: Nathan Cup Competition - Premiers: 1914
- 1915: Wagga Football Association.
- 1916: Club active, but no official competition due to WW1.
- 1917: The Culcairn Patriotic Football Association
- 1918: Yerong Creek & District Football Association. The Rock played against Mangoplah and Yerong Creek.
- 1919 - 1921: Wagga United Football Association. The Rock withdrew form the Wagga United FA in June & joined The Rock & District Football Association.
- 1921: The Rock & District Football Association.
- 1922: Riverina Main Line Football Association
- 1923 - 1925: Wagga United Football Association. Runners Up: 1925
- 1926 - 1927: The Rock Football Association. Runners Up: 1927
- 1928 - Wagga & District Football Association. Runners Up: 1928 As the minor premiers, Magoplah were entitled to challenge The Rock to another game and ultimately won the Grand Final replay.
- 1929 - 1937: The Rock & District Football League: Premiers: 1932, 1936 Runners Up: 1934, 1937
- 1938 - 1940: Albury & District Football League: 1938 - 1940.
- 1941 - 1944: Club in recess due to WW2.
- 1945 - 1947: Milbrulong & District League: Premiers: 1945, 1947 (undefeated)
- 1948 - 1957: Albury & District Football League: Runners Up: 1948, 1956 & 1957.
- 1957 - 1961: Farrer Football League
- 1962 - Farrer Football League: The Rock FC & Yerong Creek FC merged in 1962 to form The Rock Yerong Creek FC.
The Rock Cricket Club won the 1938/39 Henty & District Cricket Association premiership, defeating Henty. The Rock scored 7/441 in their second innings, with the three Taylor brothers all scoring centuries!
The Rock, New South Wales Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.