Trolls (film) facts for kids
Quick facts for kidsTrolls
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Mike Mitchell|
|Produced by||Gina Shay|
|Story by||Erica Rivinoja|
|Music by||Christophe Beck|
|Editing by||Nick Fletcher|
|Distributed by||20th Century Fox|
|Release date(s)||October 8, 2016(BFI London Film Festival)
November 4, 2016 (United States)
|Running time||93 minutes|
|Money made||$346.9 million|
Trolls is a 2016 American computer-animated jukebox musical comedy film produced by DreamWorks Animation and based on the Good Luck Trolls dolls created by Thomas Dam. The film is directed by Mike Mitchell with a screenplay by Jonathan Aibel and Glenn Berger from a story by Erica Rivinoja. The film features the voices of Anna Kendrick, Justin Timberlake, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Zooey Deschanel, Christine Baranski, Russell Brand, James Corden, Jeffrey Tambor, John Cleese and Gwen Stefani. The film follows two trolls who go on a quest to save their village from destruction by the Bergens, creatures who eat Trolls to be happy.
The film premiered on October 8, 2016 at the BFI London Film Festival and was theatrically released in the United States on November 4, by 20th Century Fox. The film received mixed reviews from critics and grossed $346 million worldwide against its $125 million budget. It received an Academy Award nomination for Best Original Song for "Can't Stop the Feeling!".
A sequel, Trolls World Tour, was released on April 10, 2020.
The Trolls are small, colorful creatures who live in an almost perpetual state of happiness, singing, dancing, hugging, and having fun all day. However, they are discovered by the Bergens, large, ugly, mean, and miserable creatures who believe they can only feel happy by consuming a Troll. The Bergens imprison the Trolls and eat them every year on a special occasion, Trollstice. The Trolls, led by their king, King Peppy, with his infant daughter, Princess Poppy, escape through tunnels on the day of Trollstice when Prince Gristle Jr. was going to eat his first Troll. Enraged, Gristle Jr.’s father King Gristle Sr. banishes his chef, who was in charge of preparing for Trollstice. Chef promises to leave and find the Trolls herself, while secretly plotting to overthrow the monarchy as revenge for her exile.
Twenty years later, an adult Poppy throws a big party to celebrate the Trolls' escape, despite the warnings of the over-cautious and egotistical gray Troll, Branch, that loud parties will attract the Bergens. At the party, Branch's warnings come true when Chef sees the fireworks and kidnaps Poppy's friends, including a "Zen" troll named Creek, whom Poppy loves.
Poppy decides on a rescue mission alone, as no other troll is willing to venture towards Bergen Town, and is later joined by Branch (after he saves her from a group of spiders) who thinks that she'll do it if she goes alone. Once inside the Bergen king's castle, Poppy and Branch witness the now-King Gristle Jr. seemingly eat Creek, but Poppy remains hopeful that Creek survived. Poppy and Branch find the rest of the captured Trolls being guarded by a scullery maid named Bridget. Poppy discovers that Bridget is secretly in love with King Gristle Jr. and offers to help her get a date with the king while trying to confirm if Creek is alive.
While setting Bridget up for the date with a musical number, Branch refuses to sing and triggers an argument with Poppy, revealing that, as a child, his grandmother was captured and got eaten while trying to save him, because his singing compromised his location to Chef, and that his guilt caused his color to turn from blue to gray. After Poppy comforts him with a hug, the trolls help Bridget who, disguised under the name of "Lady Glittersparkles", gets her date with Gristle Jr. at a roller rink and arcade restaurant and Gristle Jr. agrees for her to come to Trollstice. During this time, Poppy notices Creek being held captive inside the jewel adorning the king's mantle.
Having helped Bridget, the Trolls attempt to rescue Creek from Gristle's room and steal his jewel but discover that it is empty. The Trolls are then captured by Chef, and Poppy is shocked to discover that Creek betrayed them out to the Bergens in a cowardly and selfish attempt to save himself from being eaten, revealing that he isn't a Zen and that his captive in the jewel was actually a trap. Creek lures out every troll from Troll Village (via Poppy's cowbell) and they are captured by Chef and the other Bergen cooks. With all the Trolls captured, thrown into a pot and soon to be eaten, a heartbroken Poppy falls into despair and loses hope as she and all the other Trolls turn gray.
Branch tries to sing "True Colors" for Poppy to cheer her up, confessing his love for her. Poppy, after regaining her colors and realizing that she has fallen in love with Branch, returns his feelings, and they restore all the trolls' colors, including Branch's. Bridget saves the trolls, willing to sacrifice herself. Poppy can't bring herself to abandon Bridget and, with Branch and her friends, shows Gristle Jr. and the Bergens that Bridget is Lady Glittersparkles and that it is not necessary to eat Trolls to be happy, and they too, can find happiness within themselves.
The vengeful Chef refuses to accept the peace and tries to kill the Trolls, but is knocked into a serving cart, set on fire, and sent rolling out of Bergen Town with Creek, who is still in her pouch. Both species celebrate, bringing new life to the town. Poppy is then declared queen of the Trolls, and Poppy and Branch share a friendly hug.
In a mid-credits scene, Chef tries to eat Creek, but both of them end up being eaten by a hill monster.
- Anna Kendrick as Princess Poppy, the sweet and optimistic Princess, and later Queen of the Trolls.
- Iris Dohrn as Baby Poppy
- Justin Timberlake as Branch, an over-cautious, pessimistic, but good-hearted survivalist Troll who have a secret crush on Poppy.
- Liam Henry as Young Branch
- Christopher Mintz-Plasse as King Gristle Jr., the Prince, and later King of the Bergens.
- Zooey Deschanel as Bridget, a kind-hearted Bergen who works as a scullery maid to Chef. She also had a secret crush on Gristle Jr.
- Christine Baranski as Chef, the sadistic, cruel and power-hungry chef of the Bergens.
- Russell Brand as Creek, a Troll with a "positive" personality and "zen"-like wisdom and one of Poppy's friends and secret crush. He later turns out to be a coward, a fraud and a traitor, when he told the Bergens where the other Trolls were, just so he can save himself, breaking Poppy's heart and destroying her whole happiness.
- James Corden as Biggie, a large, friendly Troll and one of Poppy's friends.
- Jeffrey Tambor as King Peppy, the King of the Trolls and Poppy’s father who once led his people to freedom from the Bergens.
- John Cleese as King Gristle Sr., the King of the Bergens at the start of the film and Gristle Jr’s father.
- Gwen Stefani as DJ Suki, a Troll who uses DJ equipment made of insects and one of Poppy's friends.
- Ron Funches as Cooper, a giraffe-like Troll and one of Poppy's friends.
- Icona Pop as Satin and Chenille, twin Trolls who are conjoined by their hair and love fashion and two of Poppy's friends.
- Kunal Nayyar as Guy Diamond, a glittery, naked Troll with a highly Auto-tuned voice and one of Poppy's friends.
- Quvenzhané Wallis as Harper, a Troll artist with heterochromia who paints with her hair.
- GloZell as Grandma Rosiepuff, an elderly Troll and Branch's late grandmother, who sacrificed herself when she and Branch were captured by a Bergen. Dami Im voices the character in the Australian version. Susanna Reid voices the character in the UK version.
- Meg DeAngelis as Moxie Dewdrop, a dancing Troll. Connie Glynn voices the character in the UK version.
- Ricky Dillon as Aspen Heitz, a Troll skitterboarder. Greg James voices the character in the UK version.
- Kandee Johnson as Mandy Sparkledust, a Troll who designs and repairs all the treasures of Troll Town. Abbey Clancy voices the character in the UK version.
- Walt Dohrn as:
- Smidge, a small female Troll with a masculine voice and one of Poppy's friends.
- Mr. Dinkles, Biggie's pet worm.
- Fuzzbert, a Troll with green hair and two legs and one of Poppy's friends.
- Cloud Guy, an anthropomorphic cloud.
- Grace Helbig as Cookie Sugarloaf, one of the Trolls. Carrie Hope Fletcher voices the character in the UK version.
- Mike Mitchell and Curtis Stone as Chad and Todd, two royal guards that work for the Bergen Royal Family.
- Rhys Darby as Bibbly, a Bergen shopkeeper of the Bib Store.
Justin Timberlake served as an executive producer for the film's music and released the original song "Can't Stop the Feeling!" in conjunction with "Hello Darkness" on May 6, 2016. The song reached No. 1 in the official charts of 17 countries, including the United States and Canada. In addition to Timberlake, the rest of the cast contributed to the film's soundtrack, which also features guest appearances from Earth, Wind & Fire and Ariana Grande. The soundtrack album was certified Platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America and the Australian Recording Industry Association.
Trolls (film) Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.