Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie facts for kids
Quick facts for kidsTurbo: A Power Rangers Movie
Theatrical release poster
|Produced by||Jonathan Tzachor|
|Music by||Shuki Levy|
|Distributed by||20th Century Fox|
|Release date(s)||March 28, 1997|
|Running time||99 minutes|
|Money made||$9.6 million|
Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie is a 1997 American superhero film directed by David Winning and Shuki Levy and written by Levy and Shell Danielson. A sequel to Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie, it is the second installment in Power Rangers film series and was produced by Saban Entertainment and Toei Company, Ltd., and was distributed by 20th Century Fox. The film stars Johnny Yong Bosch, Nakia Burrise, Steve Cardenas, Jason David Frank, Austin St. John, Catherine Sutherland, Jason Narvy, Paul Schrier, Hilary Shepard Turner, Amy Jo Johnson, and Blake Foster.
Taking place after the events of Power Rangers Zeo, the new cast and characters from the film become cast members of Zeo' s successor series, Power Rangers Turbo, with the film's events leading into the successor series. As with its television season, the film used concepts and costumes from the Japanese Super Sentai series Gekisou Sentai Carranger. Sets and costumes created for original characters in the film were later used in the television series, with the film's climactic antagonist Maligore being reused for the evil Dark Specter in the subsequent Power Rangers in Space season.
The film was released on March 28, 1997 to generally mixed reviews. It was criticized for its visual effects and campiness, but critics praised the performance of its cast.
On the planet Liaria, a wizard named Lerigot is being hunted down by Divatox; an intergalactic space pirate, who is seeking his golden key to traverse an inter-dimensional gateway and enter into matrimony with Maligore, an imprisoned demon who promises her great riches and power. Lerigot escapes Divatox's forces and travels to Earth in search of Zordon and his friend Alpha 5, but arrives in Africa by accident. Weakened by the sun's ultraviolet rays, Lerigot meets a pack of chimpanzees and wanders off with them. Meanwhile, Divatox heads for Earth in pursuit.
In Angel Grove, Rocky DeSantos, Adam Park, and Tommy Oliver are training for a charity fighting competition to save the Youth Shelter, when Rocky accidentally injures his back. Katherine Hillard and Tanya Sloan arrive with Justin Stewart, a kid who admires Rocky and frequents the shelter. As Rocky is rushed to the hospital, Justin follows the group and learns they are Power Rangers. Zordon sends Tommy and Katherine to search for Lerigot. They manage to find him and return to the Power Chamber.
Divatox's nephew Elgar abducts Farkus "Bulk" Bulkmeier and Eugene "Skull" Skullovitch to use them as sacrifices to revive Maligore, but as the sacrifices must be pure of heart, Divatox immediately rejects them. Upon finding Kimberly Hart and Jason Lee Scott, who are scuba diving nearby, Divatox captures them. While recovering, Lerigot and the Rangers are contacted by Divatox, who has captured Lerigot's family and demands he surrender himself, and also uses Kimberly and Jason to pressure the Rangers. At the exchange site, Elgar tricks the Rangers and captures Lerigot.
Zordon and Alpha create new powers for the Rangers to defeat Divatox. With these new Turbo powers and new vehicular Turbo Zords, the Rangers travel across the desert to a ship called the Ghost Galleon. They are joined by Justin, who has received Rocky's Blue Ranger powers while Rocky is recovering in the hospital. On Divatox's submarine, Jason and Kimberly come up with a plan to escape, but though Bulk, Skull, and Kimberly escape the sub, Jason is trapped and left behind.
After Divatox and the Rangers traverse the Nemesis Triangle and reach the island where Maligore is, Divatox torpedoes the Ghost Galleon and the Rangers narrowly escape. Kimberly is recaptured and brought to Divatox by the tribal natives of the island who worship Maligore as their god. At the temple in the volcano, the Rangers fail to free Jason and Kimberly before they are possessed by Maligore and attack the Rangers mercilessly, but the Rangers succeed in freeing Lerigot and his wife Yara, who undo the possession.
Angered, Divatox sacrifices her nephew and successfully revives Maligore. The Rangers combined their Turbo Zords and form the Turbo Megazord to fight Maligore. They defeat him as Divatox and Rygog flee, vowing vengeance. The Rangers pick up Jason, Kimberly, Lerigot, Yara, Bulk and Skull and return to Angel Grove. At the competition, Jason takes Rocky's place, and they win the fight, earning the money to save the shelter.
- Johnny Yong Bosch as Adam Park / Green Turbo Ranger, a martial artist originally from Stone Canyon and formerly, the second Black Mighty Morphin Power Ranger and Green Zeo Ranger. He pilots the Desert Thunder Turbozord
- Nakia Burrise as Tanya Sloan / Yellow Turbo Ranger, an orphaned girl from Africa and formerly, the Yellow Zeo Ranger. She pilots the Dune Star Turbozord.
- Jason David Frank as Tommy Oliver / Red Turbo Ranger, the leader of the Power Rangers, Katherine's current love interest and formerly, the Green/White Mighty Morphin Power Ranger, and Red Zeo Ranger. He pilots the Red Lightning Turbozord.
- Catherine Sutherland as Katherine "Kat" Hillard / Pink Turbo Ranger, an Australian teenager and Tommy's current love interest and formerly, the second Pink Mighty Morphin Power Ranger and Pink Zeo Ranger. She pilots the Wind Chaser Turbozord.
- Austin St. John as Jason Lee Scott, the first Red Mighty Morphin Power Ranger and formerly the Gold Zeo Ranger.
- Amy Jo Johnson as Kimberly Hart, the first Pink Mighty Morphin Power Ranger and Tommy's former love interest.
- Steve Cardenas as Rocky DeSantos, a martial artist and formerly, the second Red Mighty Morphin Power Ranger and Blue Zeo Ranger.
- Jason Narvy as Eugene "Skull" Skullovitch, a police officer working at Angel Grove.
- Paul Schrier as Farkus "Bulk" Bulkmeier, a police officer working at Angel Grove.
- Blake Foster as Justin Stewart / Blue Turbo Ranger, a child in the care of Tanya and Katherine at an Angel Grove children's group. He becomes the Blue Turbo Ranger in Rocky's place and pilots the Mountain Blaster Turbozord.
- Hilary Shepard Turner as Divatox, a space pirate who seeks to marry the demon Maligore and conquer the galaxy.
Additionally, Gregg Bullock reprises his role as Lt. Jerome Stone from Power Rangers Zeo. Richard Genelle reprises his role as Ernie, the Angel Grove Gym and Juice Bar's owner; Winston Richard plays Zordon, an inter-dimensional being and the Rangers' mentor, with Bob Manahan voicing the character; and Donene Kistler plays Alpha 5, a robot from Edenoi and Zordon's assistant, with Richard Wood voicing Alpha 5. Jon Simanton portrays Lerigot, a wizard who holds a magical key that can open portals to worlds and realms, while Lex Lang provided the voice for the character. Divatox's henchmen includes Lang also voices Rygog, one of Divatox's henchmen. J.B. Levine voice Yara and Bethel, Lerigot's wife and daughter. Danny Wayne Stallcup physically portrays Elgar, Divatox's dimwitted nephew, while David Umansky provides his voice. Mike Deak portrays Maligore, Divatox's fiancé and true antagonist of this movie. Carla Perez reprises her role as Rita Repulsa, a sorceress who has fought the Power Rangers in the past, with Barbara Goodson providing her voice.
|Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)|
|Soundtrack album by
|Released||March 18, 1997|
|Power Rangers Film Soundtrack chronology|
The album serves a dual purpose, as it not only used much of the music heard in the movie, but also contained several tracks from Power Rangers: Zeo.
Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.