York Peppermint Pattie facts for kids
|Owner||The Hershey Company|
The confectionery features strongly contrasting flavors, with a particularly bitter dark chocolate surrounding a sugary center with a strong peppermint flavor.
Although chocolate-covered peppermints already existed before the York Peppermint Pattie came on the market, the York differed in that it was more firm and crisp, while the competition was softer and gooier. A former employee and York resident Phil Kollin remembered the final test that sample patties went through before leaving the factory: "It was a snap test. If the candy didn't break clean in the middle, it was a second."
In 1972, the York Cone Company was acquired by Peter Paul, who then launched the confectionery nationally in 1975. During the 1970s, Peter Paul launched a memorable advertising campaign for the candy with the tagline "Get the Sensation" which continues to be used into the present day.
In 1978, Peter Paul merged with Cadbury.
- Sugar Free Peppermint Patties – a sugar-free version of the traditional Peppermint Pattie.
- Chocolate Truffle Mint – introduced in 2004, which had a brown filling.
- Limited Edition Pink Pattie – introduced in October 2005. Peppermint Pattie with pink filling. Sale proceeds are donated to breast cancer research through the Young Survival Coalition.
- York Mints – introduced in 2007, a tin filled with bite-sized mints that have a mint shell, chocolate on the inside, and more mint on the inside.
- York Peppermint Bites – Introduced in 2003. Bite sized, round shaped candy. Introduced with other Hershey flavors.
- Peppermint Batties – Bat-shaped Peppermint Patties made each year around Halloween. Replaced with Peppermint Patties Pumpkins in 2007.
- Peppermint Patties Pumpkins – introduced in October 2007 for Halloween. Pumpkin-shaped Peppermint Patties with orange filling.
- Peppermint Patties Miniature Hearts Heart Box – introduced for Valentine's Day. Heart-shaped patties in a heart-shaped box.
- Peppermint Pattie Snowflakes – for Christmas, snowflake-shaped Peppermint Patties.
- Egg-Shaped Patties – for Easter.
- York Chocolate Peppermint Pattie Easter Bunny
York Peppermint Pattie Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.